Bird Scooter tried to censor my Boing Boing post with a legal threat that's so stupid, it's a whole new kind of wrong

Well, your admission was swift so no need to quail, even though there was a risk you’d look like a bit of a twite confessing your discovery in this sort of a chat.

7 Likes

Breaking story:

“In the quest for curbing illegal activities related to our vehicles, our legal team overstretched and sent a takedown request related to the issue to a member of the media. This was our mistake and we apologise to Cory Doctorow.”

@jlw as publisher of this independent news outlet is also owed an apology.

8 Likes

Ugh now we need to do NEW puns? Give me a brake.

5 Likes

I wonder if they’re just trying to avoid bad publicity, or it’s a sincerely ear-nest apology.

7 Likes

There, fixed it.

EDIT: Apologies, I didn’t get my bearings before writing my response.

6 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Constitutional Reflection (USA)

I’m sure Bird just issued the apology to avoid going tits-up.

7 Likes

You can’t spell ‘scooter’ without ‘coot’!

10 Likes

Are you disappointed? Bittern? Don’t be. The users have done starling work in mocking Bird and their silly scoters. “Go fly a kite!” they have said, “Here we stand. We shall not budgie. Teal with it!”

I for one am totally choughed at the response.

12 Likes

Maybe they realized making ‘empty but scary-sounding’ threats was a bird-brained idea?

10 Likes

Certainly not the best day for Bird’s legal eagles. Some times even trained people just macaw the wrong moves.

13 Likes

Swift justice, and a lesson for DMCA hawks everywhere.

13 Likes
8 Likes

Seriously. Everybody needs to stoop with the bird puns already.

11 Likes

Gosh. A few harmless little puns and some people get madder than a wet hen. It’s nothing to get in such a flap over.

10 Likes

Way to pigeonhole the whole entire forum, yo.

Luckily, my personal sense of unique individuality is completely unflappable.

:wink:

10 Likes

I’m beginning to see their exit strategy. They just want to get acquired by Nest.

9 Likes

After all this bad publicity, that opportunity may have flown the coop.

7 Likes

I suspect they don’t really have one, and are just winging it.

6 Likes

Making takedown threats against bloggers should be seen as a cardinal sin, kind of like pictures showing a woman’s orioles over on tumblr used to be. but mostly it’s a lot of ruffled feathers and threat display, hoping that the blogger will finch first.

6 Likes