Black Lives Matter. Still

14 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

8 Likes

The origins of caged birds and all that…

We’ve failed so many people since we started this stupid country…

12 Likes

Not to undermine the accomplishments of Dunbar, who has been featured in most of my Black History classes, but the poet Phyllis Wheatley preceded him. She also had international exposure, which makes her a good Women’s History Month subject. She was not a triple-threat like Dunbar, but also had an amazing list of admirers:

12 Likes

Jimmy Fallon Agree GIF

10 Likes

History of a Black town, how it has been systematically sold, and attempts to save it:

12 Likes

Zora is turning over in her grave over this…

I’m really sick of elected bodies (in this case the school board) dicking over communities of color like this…

9 Likes

Well, at least we know where it is now*, yet another disturbing Black History subject.

*Thanks to Alice Walker, another reason her recent comments/actions are very disappointing.

12 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

10 Likes
14 Likes

God damn it. I fucking hate this world

13 Likes

This article covers the latest terrible move by Louisiana in this case involving cover-ups, delays, and denials:

11 Likes

Holy fuck, this is embarrassing for Louisiana.

Holland was a cop for 20 years and said about a previous case of police brutality he refused to prosecute: "Like almost every other suspect injured by officers in any fashion, [his] failure to comply caused this entire incident.” Really doesn’t sound like someone that will work hard to convict cops.

So I went looking to find who decided to bring him in to join the prosecution. The answer is John Belton – the local DA where the murder was covered up in the first place – who apparently has no outside assistance on the case.

The only state funded attorneys on the case are defending the murderers. I can’t even

12 Likes
15 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

small number of politicians who were on board with real reform efforts, especially at a time when the public was, miraculously, largely behind them.

Kansas City Police leaders allegedly ordered officers to target minority neighborhoods to meet ticket quotas — telling them to be “ready to kill everybody in the car” — and to only respond to calls for help in white neighborhoods.

Atrios at 10:30

11 Likes
9 Likes

The lawsuit filed by a KCPD officer places blame for quotas and racist patrol tactics on former Chief Rick Smith

ah. those days are behind us now. the new police department under new leadership has none of the old problems. problem solved /s

( apparently, this line of argument can even be repeated year after year, police chief after police chief, no problem. next time we’ll get it right, we promise. :crossed_fingers: )

7 Likes

Her third grade teacher said no… and the FAA said yes.

14 Likes