Black Lives Matter. Still

15 Likes

An in-depth discussion about Karens. Weā€™d like to see the ā€œKarendemicā€ end, too!

9 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes
15 Likes

This is so awful. I feel like I should be surprised but I find this so utterly predictable. And as much as I want to single out FL, I bet this is happening in even the most progressive states. :angry:

We need real prison reform in the U.S.

19 Likes
9 Likes
15 Likes

a Black community that was literally wiped off the map to make way for parking lots

A fucking parking lot? Fucking pay them, USG!

And here is who currently makes up the BOR, in case anyone is wonderingā€¦

https://www.usg.edu/regents/members

And alsoā€¦ Iā€™m not sure I can let this standā€¦

city of Athens, which is situated just over 70 miles northeast of Atlanta

Wait What Reaction GIF

I guess TECHNICALLY thatā€™s mostly true? Butā€¦ reallyā€¦ itā€™s mostly east and just slight north of ATL. Gainsville is more properly NE of ATL than A-Townā€¦

Pendant badge please?

11 Likes

Donā€™t you mean ā€œpedantā€?

(Scurries away)

17 Likes

season 7 episode 13 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

11 Likes

From the word ā€œAtlantaā€ to the word ā€œAthensā€, using the mariner compass, Iā€™d put it at around East Northeastā€¦in other words, slightly more east than Northeast.

(I memorized the marinerā€™s compass when I was home sick from school as a child, and still use it to register directions. Iā€™ve always been a little weird.)

13 Likes

Bill Hader Yes GIF

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. It makes great points about the book and the court case, but the title of the documentary about Mr. Broadwater really made me cringe. I get that itā€™s marketing and a way to link to the memoir. However, luck had far less to do with what happened to him than a system that commits injustice by design.

14 Likes

I agree.

7 Likes

same in portland oregon. back in the 70s i think? their city seized a core strip of black businesses to expand a hospital, and then never expanded that hospital. so itā€™s parking lots ( and maybe a park? ) today

that was after building a couple of highways right there too

12 Likes

When they built I-20 in GA, it went right the fuck through the Black community downtown (Auburn ave, old 4th Ward, etc).

11 Likes

itā€™s funny how a certain set of people are always all ā€œpull yourself up by your bootstrapsā€ while literally digging the ground out beneath peopleā€™s feet

15 Likes

There are more examples upthread. Hopefully, the Biden administrationā€™s plans will deliver on the promise to help communities that suffered losses because of past policies:

16 Likes

They know what theyā€™re doing.

12 Likes