17 Likes
14 Likes
8 Likes
14 Likes

season 4 episode 11 GIF by Workaholics

8 Likes

Sgt. Christopher Pullease

See “nominative determinism.”
What an asshole. Or, ACAB, but I repeat myself.

8 Likes
11 Likes

Considering the scattershot nature of both record-keeping and record preservation from the 1800’s as regards oppressed minorities, depending on the level of detail and evidence they require, this could cut out a huge swath of folks who were injured by our Original National Sin. I don’t know the nature of the group well enough to establish motivation, but I fear that could be as designed. I have read a number of proposed ways to do this, and all have their plusses and minuses, but having to provide your genealogy seems not the best way to go about it…

13 Likes

Come On Reaction GIF

8 Likes

Of course. If it were me, I think including all Black residents (even homeless) at the point of signing the bill would have been a better way of going about it. It’s a collective responsibility, even though it’s only certain cities and one state that are engaging now.

11 Likes

Interesting study here. 60% decrease in arrests and 14% decrease in crime, what’s not to like? (Well, the decrease in arrests will trigger some fascistic asshats, but for the rest of us?)

13 Likes

Reparations critics say that California has no obligation to pay up given that the state did not practice slavery and did not enforce Jim Crow laws that segregated Black people from white people in the southern states.

And these critics would be wrong. Many CA cities did have de facto Jim Crow policies in place. I grew up in a city that was a Sundown town until the late 1960s, and my hometown was not the only one in CA. I’m almost certain that some planned CA communities had covenants that also forbidden Black ownership of properties.

13 Likes

This is 100 years late, but I’m glad it was signed into law.

18 Likes

Fucking FINALLY.

As always; rest in power Emmett Till.

17 Likes

Some of the legal and practical reasons why that was rejected appear here. There are a lot of government records that could be used to determine eligibility, with the side benefit of clearing up genealogical histories for families who haven’t been able to that research in the past. That’s a significant part of the harm caused to those descendants.

13 Likes

I mean, I don’t understand why the guy from Chicago would think folks from the Carribean or Africa would be “prioritized” though.

Still, it’s all so interconnected, what with wars against the global south, slave routes, genocide and displaced Mexican and Native Americans, too.

9 Likes

There’s a long history of conflict between some African Americans, immigrants from African nations, and immigrants of African descent from other countries. Some of it is based on cultural, class, religious, and economic differences. All of it is made worse by racism, and how that creates stereotypes among people born in the US in terms of their views on Africans in particular and immigrants in general.

I can understand why some Black people in the US who have been marginalized and oppressed for generations might believe that African immigrants who are not refugees had benefits they did not. The usual points raised are a better education and knowledge of their family history. Whether that’s true or false, if those same immigrants appear to be doing better in terms of employment or financial success - while those born here are struggling - it can create division.

That type of division has been fostered and used for decades by racists who’ve pointed out any differences in achievement on one hand, while lumping us together due to appearance on the other. They’ve promoted the idea that there’s a hierarchy, and we’re all fighting for position within it. Hopefully that explains why some African Americans object to reparations for their enslaved ancestors being distributed to all. The impact of that enslavement was not the same, even though we’ve all been affected by systemic racism.

13 Likes

Fewer references to Andrew Jackson are fine with me!

Harriet Tubman Money GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

14 Likes

ICE spokesperson Sarah Loicano responded in a statement. “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) does not tolerate the mistreatment of anyone in the agency’s custody and takes all allegations of abuse seriously,” said Loicano via Insider.

Talking Blah Blah Blah GIF by Wiz Khalifa

14 Likes