Black Lives Matter. Still

Chicago police are claiming that the problem is ‘youth’, keeping the ‘urban’ or ‘Black’ part unspoken, and the only photos of carjackers ever shown in local media are of young Black people. But of course that’s not really the whole truth.

13 Likes

Let’s hope lessons learned from the pandemic lead to some positive change before the next group of grads begin their careers:

15 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes

It’s hard to believe it’s been 30 years since the LA uprising… Here is PBS Newshours discussion of it last night…

They absolutely did gloss over any and all context at the time, I remember that pretty well.

13 Likes

Same as it ever was. :weary: One thing at the end of this report caught my eye, though. The note that the LA riots were the last time the Insurrection Act was invoked surprised me.

11 Likes

talking-heads-same

Yeah, me too.

12 Likes

More on the impact of the uprising on individuals in the community…

10 Likes

(excerpts)
For years, pediatricians have followed flawed guidelines linking race to risks for urinary infections and newborn jaundice. In a new policy announced Monday, the American Academy of Pediatrics said it is putting all its guidance under the microscope to eliminate “race-based” medicine and resulting health disparities.

The academy is urging other medical institutions and specialty groups to take a similar approach in working to eliminate racism in medicine.

12 Likes

Must have missed that day in class. We have never, in my 35 years of experience, used race as a factor in risk for kericterus, and while the racial “adjustments” for kidney function have been well documented and debunked here and elsewhere, assessing for UTIs have not taken race into consideration in my experience either.
Just for completeness, if you accept a “racial adjustment / correction” in any medical test, and justify it as genetics, come on now. Very few Black Americans lack some degree of Caucasion ancestry. Unless you are prepared to “correct” for the “degree of Blackness” you really are just spouting racist nonsense. (Generic “you,” not aimed at @hecep ) This before you take into account that Africa is a whole friggin’ continent. The one where we arose, and containing more human genetic diversity than the rest of the world combined! Yeah, no, just racist nonsense hanging on. Good for these guys rooting out these remnants and getting rid of them. Any pediatricians who would still do these “corrections” need to do some serious self evaluation.

15 Likes
15 Likes
15 Likes

It does this one.

14 Likes

Yeah, I just put this in the “Supreme Court to strike down…” thread:

12 Likes
11 Likes

Could have been placed in Misogyny, but seemed more appropriate here:

Johnson died about 12 hours after having a scheduled cesarean section that was performed in 17 minutes to deliver the couple’s second son, Langston.
"This is sloppy. It was butchery,‘’ attorney Nicholas Rowley said. "It shocked everybody that we deposed, all the health care providers, even the head of (obstetrics) here, the head of labor and delivery, looked at it and said ‘No, I’ve never seen one done that fast.’‘’

Now, before we get “well, actually’d”, yes, I have seen a c/s done faster than 17 min. I have seen them done much faster, but never for a routine, scheduled procedure. Failing to notice a laceration sufficient to put that much blood in her abdomen is incomprehensible. Failing to monitor her closely enough to notice that she was actively dying in postpartum, also incomprehensible. Telling her husband that she “was not a priority?”

angry hulk GIF

14 Likes

Wait. When the article says the surgery took 17 minutes from start to finish, they mean the placenta clean out and suturing and every thing? I can see an emergency C-section starting out fast, there is a reason to get the baby out quickly or it wouldn’t be an emergency. But after that? Why would anyone rush that?! That’s not sloppy, that’s criminal. I was very out of it at the time, but I’m pretty sure my OB took like 5 or 10 minutes after the baby was out cleaning out the placenta and checking on everything before she even began the sutures.
I wish Mr. Johnson success with both lawsuits. I hope Kira Johnson’s death forces the hospital to reckon with it’s own racism and fix things.

11 Likes

That’s the implication. Not stated clearly. 17 min from pt in room to baby out is pretty quick. 17 min from pt in room to pt out of room? That boggles the imagination. The more emergent and rushed the incision and delivery, the more slow, deliberate and careful the clean up and repair afterwards, at least in my experience as the peds watching from the sidelines. This story is a horrible look for the hospital, regardless of the (very good) reputation it has.

14 Likes

Apologies, I also looked at this Article which says

According to the complaint, “The surgery was done recklessly. The time, start to finish, was a mere 17 minutes.”

And got them confused

8 Likes

Exactly. “Finish” is not a precise term here. I interpret it to mean to closure and out of room, but it could also be interpreted to mean baby delivered. No clarification after that. Regardless, the subsequent care, or lack thereof, is unforgivable.

10 Likes