"Blatantly unlawful": companies use Facebook targeting to ensure older workers don't see help-wanted ads

People have been prosecuted for comparable TOS violations. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/us/27myspace.html It isn’t common, but it is real.

Right, I’m going to buy “Teen Vogue” on the off chance a job advertisement is there being hidden from my demographic.

Might as well complain that placing job advertising in magazines discriminates against blind people because as a class, they rarely buy and read any magazines directly. Or that a radio spot saying “Fleegle Corp. is hiring” discriminates against hearing impaired people.

(Braille and talking book versions do not carry the adverts.)

Companies have been using selected ways ot getting job ads out for a very long time. Every method of doing so discriminates in one form or another against some group or range that might not be reading/looking for work in that particular magazine.TV show/newspaper/what have you.

Now the legality of mucking with your age on Facebook? No idea, that’s best left to experts in law but it sounds silly on the face of it other than for minors trying to pass themselves off as adults.

I don’t use Facebook at all so I’d not think to look for a job there anyway so am I being discriminated against?

This doesn’t seem like a good thing, but I would never use Facebook to find a job, anyway. Even I know that it’s too open to manipulation of various sorts.

I don’t know about older people, but I think that’s the reason why these job ads are being targeted at an age group who don’t know better.

1 Like

Well, I don’t think it’s about not knowing better. I think it’s about people with crushing student loans just wanting to be able to support themselves.

The goal of a lot of millenials is to just get by. I’ve heard some boomers praise this as if it was a shift towards non-materialism instead of a generation-wide sense of malaise.

I should have been clearer and said that is the thought process of the companies advertising for the jobs.

As one of the first millennials, I understand too well. Then I ended up on disability benefits and understood even more…

2 Likes

Age discrimination is ILLEGAL???

Only partially. It’s perfectly legal to discriminate against the young.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.