Blizzard/Activision celebrates record revenues by laying off 800 employees

yeah. it’s not even blizzard’s at all. basically a reskin of an existing free to play game

i do a little bit of game work via contracting. residuals would be amazing. the feast or famine of working vs not working, the lack of healthcare are painful, no pension but what i put together myself, double taxation of being self-employed – it’s not really stable.

i get to wondering what happens when im too old to be considered employable, and too young to retire.

note: i also don’t care enough about money to submit myself to the grinder that is year-round employment in games and other similar software :confused:

5 Likes

I spent years as a “temporary full-time” employee, having my contract continually renewed but never being made permanent. I was fortunate enough that the job still paid well and I received benefits (although no pension). But it’s a shitty, shitty feeling to have to listen to management tout how much they value their employees one day and then have that same management the next day tell you they aren’t willing to make you permanent. I don’t know who management thinks they’re fooling when they do that. Every single person in the same circumstances as me (and there were quite a few of us) took away the same message: management talks a load of crap and is not be trusted. I think it would have actually been better if they had shut up about how much they love their employees - at least silence would have honest. I can’t even imagine the compartmentalizing necessary to talk about your “extraordinarily talented employees” and then announce a layoff of 800 people in the same earnings report.

At least my story had a happy ending - on the same day they offered me a permanent position, I accepted a job elsewhere.

7 Likes

It’s exactly the sort of thing that I just can’t even imagine them putting their name on before now.

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of situation a union is good for. The game industry has to acknowledge it has far more in common with temporary film work than the tech industry - though they could use some unions as well.

1 Like

If it’s not too much of a derail, what actually is the difference in American terms between being a full-time temp and a ‘permanent’ employee?

Presumably it differs from state to state?

1 Like

Short answer:
Full time temp = associate on a contract who is scheduled for 37.5+ hours per week. They can be paid in an hourly or salary manner. They are not eligible for 401k, health insurance, life insurance, etc through the employer.
Permanent employee = associate on a “standard” at-will employment basis who is scheduled for 37.5+ hours per week (hourly or salary) and are eligible for full benefits and other perks (corporate parties or bonuses for example).

Long answer:
It does not differ state to state. Most labor laws are at the federal level (only some distinctions in types of pay and classifications of compensation change from state to state…admittedly I am really summarizing it there).

Temp associates often have 32 or less hours per week and therefore are classified as part time. However, anyone working a 37.5 hour or more per week schedule is classified as a full time associate. The terminology changes from company to company…but in the case of Blizz its really about those who are permanent staff compared to being contract staff. Contract staff do not get bene packages or other perks that permanent staff get. Hence some testimony like the one from Jordan states badge color and its importance (my employer does a similar thing, different color badges signify different employment states as well as divisions).

2 Likes

The kind that makes the rich richer.

5 Likes

I’m in Canada and have no idea about US employment law; happy to leave that to quori.

Where I was working, it meant that I received most of the benefits permanent employees received, except for the pension. But my employment had a fixed end date set out in my employment contract. And then every year, at the last minute, the company would decide to renew the contract for an additional year. That’s probably why temporary full-time employees weren’t part of the pension plan - when the contract says you’ll only be there for a year, why even bother doing the paperwork for a pension plan?

I don’t know a great deal about Canadian employment law either, and if I screw up maybe someone here on BB will set me straight. But the lawyers I work with who do employment work tell me that it is very difficult to fire someone just for not being great at their job. There is no “employment at will” in Canada. If you’re a permanent employee, you can get fired for cause or they can let you go without cause. And the bar for “cause” is high. If the employee is egregiously bad or is committing crimes in the workplace or something, fine, but if the employee is just not particularly good at their job, that can be hard to prove. Wanting to avoid getting dragged in to a legal fight, on paper many employers will characterize any dismissal as being without cause. But then they have to give the employee either notice or severance. Basically, either way the employee gets paid - the difference is whether they have to keeping showing up to work. Unsurprisingly, many employers opt to not have an employee who has been dismissed hanging around the workplace. So the default ends up being that the employer has to pay severance, an expense no employer really wants to take on. How much notice/severance an employee gets isn’t set in stone; it’s determined based on a number of factors including years of service and age. Especially for long-time employees in senior positions, it can really start to stack up.

“Limited term” full-time employee contracts help employers avoid all that. They never have to let anyone go, for cause or not for cause. They just wait out the contract and then don’t renew it. For the employee, it means no job security. At any given point in time, it was not uncommon for multiple people in the office to not know if they had a job next month.

Of course, where I worked they almost always did renew the contracts, at the very last minute. Because my coworkers (and I like to think myself) were good at our jobs and the company needed us. But for budget reasons, it was easier for them to string us along.

Edited to add: my post kind of makes it sound like Canadian employment law is amazing for employees, and I guess from that perspective it maybe beats employment-at-will. But it’s also worth pointing out that it in the end, it really protects those who already have resources. If you’re a CTO, you’re going to get a sweet severance package because its a senior position and because the company knows you have the resources to push back. If you’re in entry-level customer service position with crap pay and English isn’t your first language, the protections the law provides are probably worth a lot less to you.

4 Likes

even in the us, most salary employment is “safer” than hourly. even though both are “at will”, often salaried positions are seen as more permanent - by both the employee and employer.

severance is optional (here) so far as i know. you are given a form that quite literally says: i will not sue you, and in exchange for signing it, get some money. sometimes that form will have non-compete clauses buried in them just for fun.

1 Like

I love/cry about this.

What you describe sounds so much worse than the basic protections one would expect in EU employment law.

In the UK, once an employee has two years under their belt, they can only be fired for one of 5 reasons. Conduct, Incapacity, Redundancy, because it’s required by law, or the wonderful catch-all “some other substantial reason”.

Even if you have those grounds, you still have to give notice unless the reason for the dismissal is sufficiently serious to warrant no notice. So punching your boss in the face in front of several witnesses might be justify a ‘gross misconduct’ dismissal, but your boss simply deciding that ‘you’re not up to the job’ wouldn’t.

There is a requirement to have a fair and reasonable process for making decisions about whether to dismiss someone and for example if the reason is inability to do the job, the employer would be expected to make some fairly hefty efforts to help the employee get up to speed instead of simply sacking them - which seems fair enough given that this would only apply to an employee who has been working (apparently satisfactorily) for at least two years.

As you say the temptation is then, of course, not to let employees get those two years. And that does happen.

Amusingly, that period was relatively recently extended back up from one year because politicians and employers argued that one year wasn’t long enough to know whether a new employee was working out. Really? How bad are you at managing your business if you can’t tell within a year?

There is also a bunch of stuff that does not need two years employment to allow an employee to make a claim - sacking someone for discriminatory reasons, like say “She got pregnant”, “looked a bit muslim”, “he’s just so old…”, “wanted to join a union”, etc.

But trying to argue that someone who has worked for you for 6 years on repeatedly renewed one-year contracts is not entitled to the same rights as a permanent employee just because they had fixed term contracts wouldn’t get you far.

Employers are not allowed to discriminate between fixed-term and permanent staff doing the same job. If a fixed term contract comes to an end after two years, the employee is entitled to redundancy pay and if the arrangement continues for more than 4 years, the employee is probably going to automatically become a permanent employee.

We have that too but at least here, the money promised for not suing and keeping stumm is usually on top of the severance pay.

I’m particularly interested in how these things work in the US (and Canada) given that once we leave the EU, the chances are we’re going to get a lot of pressure to get rid of all these pesky protections and enter into the same sort of arrangements you have other there.

We’ve had years of lobbying to that effect already, most of which was only held back by the governments of the day being able to say “We can’t do this because of EU law. We’d love to help you Mr Big Business but our hands are tied. If only…”

Well, now ‘if only’ is here. :frowning:

3 Likes

It me. :frowning:

Then, like me, you are effectively retired, ready or not, and must make do. It’s pretty straight-forward really.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues yet but I feel like I need to have an alternate income stream before I find myself in that boat. I’ve been working toward an early (working) retirement for the last 3 years. When I sell my house this spring I should have enough capitol to start moving forward on my plans. Of course it’s all a big leap and I could just end up losing everything in the process. But playing it safe (doing the same thing) until I can’t find work, is just ignoring the inevitable.

1 Like

y’all are rays of sunshine :wink:

i wish it were easier to get by in the world. cheaper rent/property taxes, universal healthcare, things like that.
i love working - and i am (generally) productive. i’m just not much one for the office environment, nor for endless crunch.

in truth i’d rather be working 20-30hrs a week for the rest of my life than working 50-60hrs through the prime of my life. all for some societal expectation. ( and the economic effect of those expectations. )

basically, i’m lazy.

2 Likes

Lol, sorry man. It’s not meant to be reassuring, obviously. Just a reflection of how things sometimes are.

I agree with the rest of your post. I always wanted my labour to support my lifestyle, not define who I am.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.