Blockchain, the amazing solution for almost nothing

Was there redis in there somewhere?

3 Likes

In my design, yes :smile:

At its core, Fabric is a K/V store that allows for atomic transactions, in that a block can set multiple K/V pairs, but guarantee that each key is only modified for that transaction (block).

I changed their black box into a K/V interface and added a caching interface that could use Redis or its cloud equivalent. Stupid simple, but I’m just a simple code monkey.

I understand the lure of shiny but I think Redis belongs in the “this shit works” toolbox.

3 Likes

When used as a simple cache I suppose it is, but my experience is with a project where the developers seemed to want to use it as a relational database, and it was a huge CPU and memory hog. I re-engineered the system with python, django and mysql, and it runs much better.

1 Like

Understood. In this case they had a hardon for couchbase.

I had a default in memory cache (map+mutex in Go) and it was decent at that. The notion I had for Redis was to have a shared cache to avoid localization. I never got the chance to properly try it out because they were busy rebuilding the mysql functionality in couchbase.

I have my biases (including a weakness for SQLite), but I try my damndest to let the nature of the problem dictate the correct tools to solve it.

1 Like

Jeeves Eyeroll

Nobody’s yet mentioned the #1 real good-time application of blockchain: Virtual Cats

5 Likes

I thought those were really not-cryptocoins for places that outlawed cryptocoins?

3 Likes

Freaky but intriguing – RedBeardLab/rediSQL (on github)

2 Likes

I haven’t heard that. I just saw it as a way to entice money (or ETH) out of people’s pockets.

1 Like

I’ve watched Bitcoin – with increasingly raised eyebrows – for a decade. Initially I was attracted by its decentralized audacity, mathematical cleverness and cyberpunk-like back story. As it exploded though, I shied away from buying any as it just felt unreal. Bitcoin’s only visible impact in my immediate world was an inability to buy a decent graphics card for my work. To me, cryptocurrency has always looked like pure speculation without any utility.

Maybe six months ago though, I stumbled on Helium, a distributed network to support low-power low-bandwidth communication (think sensors, asset tracking, etc.). Rather than proof-of-work, currency would be earned by providing proof-of-coverage. On the use side, data credits could be purchased in this currency to allow communication without having to have, for example, a telco account for each device. My hotspot has been running now for a couple of months, providing overlap coverage in downtown Vancouver. At the moment there is very little actual sensor data going through my hotspot - its mostly proof-of-coverage challenges and witnesses. However, given that this network supports existing LoRa sensors, once coverage expands a bit more, I’m hoping to see it used for real applications. (I have a tag that I’ve been carrying around to test with. The tag tracks reliably and I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time digging through its history in the blockchain explorer.) As someone who has been extorted by telcos wanting $15/month to track an asset, I think this is a cool technology.

(Disclaimer. Though it wasn’t my reason for buying a hotspot, I potentially stand to profit from increased use of Helium.)

2 Likes

Super tangential observation. As a former coder the US English style of including sentence-terminating periods inside quotation marks kills me, that shouldn’t parse. But, I agree about “properly matched parentheses.”

2 Likes

Git’s history is not immutable and can be rewritten.

And Kubernetes?

1 Like

I get this at work all the time. I had one applicant say they wanted to use block chain to trace vanilla from farm to aggregator to curing station to exporter to assure it was certified organic. I asked how that was an improvement over the $6000 OTS solution currently being used with barcodes and scanning guns. The response was it would prevent bad actors from opening the bags and swapping out the vanilla with a lower grade or non-organically produced bean. The applicants were rather unhappy when I asked them to explain, in specific detail, how block chain, a digital, online solution, was going to solve a physical, real world problem.

They didn’t get funded.

9 Likes

But changes are tamper-evident, which is the point.

I previously administered a large CVS repository, where history could be changed with vi but the very idea usually has me digging my heels in.

1 Like

tIYF8aG

6 Likes

I think if the part in parenthesis is a full sentence you probably should. I use too many parentheses but my rule is, if it’s grammatically correct to have a full stop inside brackets, try not using them. I’m messy enough already.

1 Like

Other than a functional state, I don’t see how it is even possible to have a viable currency. There are (were) asset backed (gold) currencies, but they’ve always succumbed to the need for printing in emergencies.

According to the Chartalist position, the first step in giving a currency value is that it extinguishes a sovereign tax obligation, and it is a necessary first step. After that, medium of exchange concerns and amounts of liquidity in an economy can be debated. Anyway, given that no blockchain based crypto currency can fulfill that necessary function, as far as I can see, cryptos will remain, forever, nothing more than speculator’s playthings.

I think that’s what you were indicating anyway

3 Likes

Yes, bitcoin is intrinsically and unavoidably deflationary once all coin drops end.

2 Likes

In high school English, I was taught that the mathematical nesting sequence of ‘(’, ‘[’ and ‘{’ does not actually apply to prose composition.

1 Like

Paypal doesn’t charge the fees it does because it’s really expensive for them to update a centralized database. Those fees are their profit model (that and arbitrarily seizing people’s accounts).

1 Like

You will love my blockchain portal!

5 Likes