Blogging is hard, learns Gawker's new bosses

Yeah, writers getting steady paycheck. Terrible for the market.

3 Likes

Agree. Some of the former writers have setup camp here:
http://deadsplinter.com/

The site is slowly coming together on the UI side - which is hopeful.

2 Likes

The great reduction in the surface area of being able to do this when their umbrella cannibalize the market and took the course it did was what i was referring to. My hope was that this breathes new life back into this ability in a much more diversified and healthy way.

Hoping for greater opportunities for reporters and journalists and writers being able to make a living .:+1:i highly empathize with those whose lives are disrupted by this and hope the best for them.

2 Likes

I know you’re writing about Gawker in general, but I don’t see how the loss of the Deadspin for the last half-dozen years is anything but a tragedy. I’d love to understand what anyone but Dave Portnoy might find problematic about their efforts.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been trying to look them up manually!

So much for getting anything done today.

My hope was simply that the valuable subsections of Gawker can find ways to continue on and flourish free from some of the rest, and that a larger variety of smaller outlets can have an easier time thriving.

1 Like

I agree that yahoo made a lot of terrible decisions, but I’m not sure if I consider the idea of an internet magazine in the 90s so bad.
I’ve never seem one of those magazines, so I’m not sure about their contents.
However, access to the internet was not universal and it was not as easy as it is today to get recommendations of sites and services.
If you didn’t know a lot of people who already used the internet and had similar tastes, it was easy to miss some good sites simply because you couldn’t know that they existed.

It is not exactly the same thing, but it is really close, but I remember a few years ago (definitely less than 5) that I was at my grandparents house and the program that were watching was basically ‘what is hot in the internet this week.’

It is surprising how many of those people don’t have the faintest idea of where the value of the companies they buy/manage is, and this won’t be the last example of it.
The vulture capitalist at least understand that, and I think that in this case it is just clueless people who acquired an existing company to try to keep getting some profit from it.

Hopefully, the writers will just reorganize somewhere else and recreate most of the company and its value.
It could be a great example to the point that workers don’t need bosses but not the opposite.

3 Likes
Blogging is hard, learns Gawker's new bosses
So hard, in fact, that the last post on Deadspin's main page is dated 11/4/19, an eternity ago for a sports blog. There are no by-lines by real people now, just "Deadspin". And the public is no longer allowed to comment on posts.

So G/O Media shut down Splinter, and now they’ve essentially killed off Deadspin. That’s 2 out of 10 blogs. It doesn’t look like Great Hill Partners is going to get the return on its investment they thought they would at this rate.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.