Boeing Boeing

4 Likes

important detail;

The plea deal covered only wrongdoing by Boeing before the crashes; it did not give the company immunity for other incidents

but also;

The deal also does not cover any current or former Boeing officials, only the corporation

2 Likes
2 Likes

Boeing’s Starliner set for extended stay at the ISS as engineers on Earth try to recreate thruster issues

Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft is set to spend a little longer attached to the International Space Station (ISS) as engineers on the ground work to recreate the oddities seen in orbit.

During a briefing on July 10, mission managers admitted that engineers had not been able to recreate the conditions that caused problems for the vehicle’s Reaction Control System (RCS) thrusters during docking.

[…]

Although managers have become comfortable with going beyond the initial 45-day limit set by the lifetime of batteries onboard Starliner, describing them as healthy and showing no sign of performance anomalies, getting the spacecraft away by the end of July is important to avoid a potential conflict with a Crew Dragon handover in August.

[…]

3 Likes

Tired: Boing Boing Store
Wired: Boeing Store

2 Likes

Their Women in Aerospace cap desperately needs women in graphic design, or anyone that tells them that light blue on white is unreadable

3 Likes

Came here to say: best BB thread title ever!

That is all.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Yeah, right.

6 Likes

So, no structures 151 feet or higher on this particular approach.

5 Likes

Not anymore.

9 Likes

IMG_5149

6 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

5 Likes
5 Likes

I read an explainer on why precise control of the thrusters when de-orbiting is a Very Big Deal. Not enough burn and you’ll stay in orbit until you’ve run out of water or oxygen. Too much and your angle of re-entry will be too steep and you’ll cook then disintegrate.

If I were among those astronauts, I’d also be saying “No, take your time, I don’t mind waiting while you double-check.”

6 Likes

Boeing’s Starliner proves better at torching cash than reaching orbit

[…]
The troubled aerospace titan’s filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) revealed it would be increasing its “reach-forward loss on the [Starliner] program” by another $125 million.

The losses incurred by Boeing thanks to Starliner have comfortably breezed past $1 billion, and will likely surpass $1.6 billion before long. “Risk remains that we may record additional losses in future periods,” Boeing observed.
[…]

The next flight of the Starliner is not expected until August 2025, so it seems likely that Boeing’s balance sheet will continue to bleed red in the “contracts we wish we’d never signed” column for a while longer._

4 Likes

Ill Do It Valentines Day GIF by I Want You Back Movie

The torching cash bit…

4 Likes

You are either Bill Drummond or Jimmy Cauty, and I claim my £5!

And just to be clear, when I say I’m expecting a crisp fiver I mean a new one with Chuck’s image on it, in mint condition.

3 Likes

Alright, alright, just keep the ancients bit quiet, ok?

4 Likes
4 Likes