Boeing 737 MAX fleet grounded after mid-air blowout

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/06/boeing-737-maxes-grounded-after-door-blows-out.html

5 Likes

Well this is bad.

The previous MAX disasters were caused by Boeing’s disastrous attempts to build a software solution to a physical problem - they wanted the MAX to fly exactly like the NEO despite major changes to the engine and wing in order that pilots wouldn’t need expensive recertification on the new type. Which would have been fine if they didn’t do it on the cheap.

But this is a failure in the fuselage - a part of the plane that hasn’t been radically redesigned - either there is a manufacturing issue with this plane, or something has happened to the plane since delivery.

I guess the saving graces are - once again - fantastically professional crew, and the strength of the original 737 design to survive major damage.

19 Likes

It’s a pretty low bar for Airbus: make planes that don’t kill people.

It seems like it will be a while before Boeing figures it out.

6 Likes

Its a brand new plane, delivered in October. Not enough time for a fatigue issue so likely a manufacturing issue.

The section that blew out is a door plug, a window unit installed where a door could go, so technically not the fuselage. It is particular to the 737-900 and 737-MAX9. Again, speaks to a manufacturing issue.

18 Likes

I’ve flown on a lot of 737 Max jets and was hoping they had all the issues worked out but now I’m wondering what will happen next.

4 Likes

A not so gentle reminder to keep your seat belt fastened.

16 Likes

91e9ca6a-2430-4c6b-92be-97f367d34197_text

8 Likes

8 Likes

Apparently there is video. Source is Tiktok but I don’t do that shit so this is all I’ve got.
Just saw video on BBC that looked like it was from Instagroan, too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/18zytu7/props_to_the_pilot_landing_this_plane_with_a_hole/

2 Likes

The incident was terrifying…

Well… um…

:smile::smile::smile::+1:

3 Likes

The Boeing of old is dead and gone. The company used to be run by engineers who actually understood the nuts and bolts of planes. They have been replaced by MBAs, whose only interest is in how much money they can stuff in their own pockets.

Maybe if they reverted back to being a company headed and run by engineers they could reverse the failures of the last numerous years, but I don’t see that happening. I will willingly fly Airbus over Boeing for the foreseeable future.

12 Likes

The merger with McDonnell Douglas forced the changes. Definitely gone downhill since then.

9 Likes

Yikes!
Did any of the coverage mention where the lost panel landed?

2 Likes

“Forced” is perhaps a stronger word than “induced”… no one put a gun to someone’s head to let the MBA’s make bad calls. As an engineer who had to fight with his manager over a safety issue - and that company later had a battery explosion at that very site - bad management decisions driven by cost or timetables are 100% a choice. (During our shouting match I actually referenced the 737 Max). Our HR patted me on the head and asked me about my feelings around being bullied… to which I was like “that is absolutely not what your concern should be right now.”

That calculation isn’t going to change until some of these MBAs get jailtime, which they should absolutely get for the first two crashes.

15 Likes

Soon as I saw the pictures and saw on the safety cards in the seat back it was a 737 Max, I knew where this was headed. Glad to hear the FAA took quick action and grounded all the planes. Hopefully they’ll use independent contractors to go over them for safety issues, because clearly Boeing can no longer be trusted.

10 Likes

The separation of Boeing’s management from their design and assembly staff by decamping HA first to Chicago and then to Virginia shows where their priorities are these days.

It’s hard to think of a company that has done so much to destroy its reputation than Boeing. It was a giant that deserved its place in aerospace history, but every part of the company seems to be rotten. A tragedy.

9 Likes

Arlington, Virginia – presumably to be close to Washington DC and the Pentagon, because “defence” is the most important part of the business.

5 Likes

Yep here in the Pacific Northwest we say that McDonnell Douglas bought Boeing and kept the name since McD’s engineering reputation (and standards) were no good at all.

Then they moved the corporate office to Chicago. The whole thing just kills me. We were so proud of having such a great company in Seattle.

10 Likes

Now that’s not fair, they still have Starliner

/s

1 Like
6 Likes