Boeing's new spacesuit is far out

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/25/boeings-new-spacesuit-is-far.html

4 Likes

Jesus that’s a huge goddamn leap ahead from the current models in use.

This is some 2001 level shit.

33 Likes

“It’s so futuristic it reminds me of the technology we were supposed to have 16 years ago!” -Our human spaceflight situation in a nutshell.

For clarification, this is one of the suits astronauts wear in case of depressurization and not an EVA suit, right?

32 Likes

Looks like a souped up White’s Fusion dry suit.

4 Likes

I assumed it was EVA gear since they compared the weight to that equipment. May have misread that.

4 Likes

Got that right.

5 Likes

I’d expect it to be an indoors-only suit.

EVA “suits” aren’t really clothing; they’re better thought of as very small spacecraft.

17 Likes

Even more bad ass with dark shade helmet

9 Likes

What is the main difference if both need to protect the wearer from vacuum? Is it mostly just about where the life support system goes, or additional radiation shielding?

1 Like

Thrust-based mobility, micrometeorite protection, insulation against extreme temperatures and massive redundancy.

23 Likes

Irreverence is my default. Especially when it concerns a corporation who meets its shareholder expectations through arms deals.

The space suit was anticipated closely by Mattel in 1970:

As for the spacecraft launch, who would not make the immediate leap of imagination…

21 Likes

Major Matt Mason?

4 Likes

That one’s not a standard feature though, is it? I thought most EVAs were tethered.

1 Like

This suit is more like the lightweight suits which were used by the entire shuttle crew during launch and re-entry. It isn’t intended to be used for EVA, and with more air pressure inside than outside it is probably not very mobile. Its just to keep the occupant alive for a while if pressure is lost in an emergency.

8 Likes

Matt Mason’s comrade, Lt Jeff Long. He joined along with Sgt Storm, making two of the three other "bendy"astronauts.
There was also Doug Davis, who had a yellow suit. I always just called him “Frank Poole”, tho’.

Mason was around in '66 - before I was old enough. I don’t think the rest of the crew came in 'til the rounding of the decade…

5 Likes

Boeing uses the term “get-us-home” suit.

4 Likes

Those goddamn internal wire armatures and the shitty rubber expansion sleeves were always in a war for what would break or rot first.

Still some of my favorite toys until Micronauts came about.

8 Likes

Nice - even in Mass Effect blue :smiley:

1 Like

Yup, optional.

EVA description starts around 14:30.

4 Likes

Off Topic: Arms deals help pay for space R&D no doubt. Personally, I have a bad taste in my mouth for Boeing knowing that they are selling or trying to sell products to allot of bad actors in the world right now. Sometimes I suspect that that is why John McCain as Chairman of Armed Services committee has a raging bee up his ass when it comes to Boeing. Oh, and I almost forgot Boeing was the first to start building that dumb ass wall on the US Mexico border. You can bet your ass they are going to be trying again.

5 Likes