Boeing's new spacesuit is far out

And all Badass Dragon Scavengers of the Void get secondhand crap.

2 Likes

Because air barrier and vapour barrier are not synonymous. As any good builder must understand.

2 Likes

21 Likes

Hey, why not Sontarans in NASA. We got Slitheen in the White House.

5 Likes

The top answer on Quora to the question, “Why astronauts have a white and an orange-coloured space suit?”, does an excellent job of detailing the differences between NASA’s orange Advanced Crew Escape Suit, ACES (which the last Shuttle astronauts wore during launch and entry) and a white EVA suit.

This new suit is the equivalent of the orange NASA ACES suit. Protects astronauts inside spacecraft from pressure loss, and keeps 'em floaty during splashdowns. Not meant for EVA.

(I wonder how long it will stay blue. The LES suit, which preceded the ACES suit, was originally supposed to be blue, but the air crews tasked with picking floating astronauts out of the ocean made it clear just how stupid they thought that particular fashion choice was. I expect they’ll be heard from again.)

13 Likes

But the best spacesuit will always be:

5 Likes

Major Matt came with a white suit. I seem to remember there was a female team member too?

14 Likes

Russia’s Sokol pressure suits (the ACES/LES equivalent) are white.

Although I suppose there is very little chance that they will end up in the ocean, launching and landing in Central Asia as they do. While the CST-100 is supposed to come down on dry land, it will launch from Cape Canaveral so the astronauts might well end up in the ocean in the event of a launch abort.

As long as they’re not in Star-Trek red …

4 Likes

ok. I know it was a book and movie and all…but the design/capability/use seems similar. Why couldn’t you have made it look like what was in The Martian?

5 Likes

It’s missing something… hmmm… how about a colored panel toward the bottom to break up the solid blue. Maybe a nifty logo on the chest… and… what about a cape guys? Is that too much??

3 Likes

Get the price down and Boeing could get into the fashion business.

1 Like

10 Likes

Oh, thank all the ghods I wasn’t the only one.

1 Like

I’m more puzzled by “permeable layers that allow water vapor - but not air - to pass through the suit fabric”. What materials are they using for that?

Polyester? :smiley:

3 Likes

Definitely not polyester double-knit (catchphrase: “the fabric that makes sweatiness sweatier.”)

1 Like

I prefer the Zambian suits…

4 Likes

Yeah.
Matt was White suited - the oldest ones had blue map-pocket straps. Storm was red, Long was blue, “Poole” was yellow.

I don’t remember a woman, but they had a couple of space aliens and “Capt Lazer” - all of which seemed les exotic than a female astronaut in 66-72.