Boing Boing 3.0, and Ask the Sysadmin!

I watched one last year… to suggest that it was drier than dirt might be insulting to dirt. Perhaps suggesting that there’s more excitement to be had on CSPAN2 would be more diplomatic.

Nonetheless, I found it interesting and educational in an aridly-dry, oh-so-nerdlike sort of way that none of my peers seemed to appreciate.

I completely agree… a little pomp and circumstance would certainly liven up the occasion!

7 Likes

I am thinking… Ceremonial robes. (And audit logs, finger print scanners, badges, video footage…)

But if it is literally called a ceremony, should there be, oh, weird hats?

(Full disclosure: I always have tongue in cheek)

5 Likes

I remember when the first generation came out - we had a helluva time getting the fans to work properly and a few problems with flex on the mezzanine board. (I worked with Compaq at the time.) Can fit a lot beefier specs into 1U now.

3 Likes

It amazes me that they still make those. I remember using them like 15 years ago. The originals were total turds.

1 Like

I was an escalation engineer (title inflation, of course) for ProLiant servers back then. I recall all their turdishness quite well. I think we all got caught up in fan problems (especially!) at the time. The damned things sounded like jets taking off - at close range!

6 Likes

I remember that well. Having to get them set up in my office before moving them to the rack in the data center was basically an OSHA violation.

4 Likes

I’m so so sorry, man.

/me hugs you and lets you cry silently

7 Likes

You undoubtedly got to deal with my colleagues then. :wink:

4 Likes

1997 for me… and you know I will take that over coding for a day job.

6 Likes

I have no idea! I’m a program manager and a manager of engineers.

3 Likes

I remember the originals! they were built like tanks and weight about as much, too.

The current batch (well, G6-G8, I haven’t used the G9s yet) are actually pretty awesome. The fans are all redundant and hotswap, and they’ve got nice little diagnostic panels on them so a tech can tell exactly which dimm/drive/power supply/etc needs replacing, all without a screwdriver. I’m definitely a fan of the current designs, and LOVE the current iLO (lights-out management) setup - it can be scripted from Linux, and I can update system firmware for all the servers from just one card, without needing crummy proprietary software sitting on top of it. They finally support SSH, even. :smiley:

6 Likes

Wait, what!? You mean I wouldn’t need three Philips and a couple torx at all time!?

Fairy tales.

7 Likes

You know, I’m starting to think the technology industry has subtly Stockholmed me :smiley:

7 Likes

That wouldn’t stop any IT Professional worth their salt from carrying the same tools, just in case.

If Im not carrying the tools to strip any equipment I’m facing - including pneumatic chairs and toilet cubicles (long story), I’m underdressed.

5 Likes

In the later days at Boeing I didn’t get to crack the cases that often unless I was at the data center and the install guys wanted some help. Didn’t even have to screw in the rack rails. Every thing was snap in. Slide the catch to get access, etc. Really sweet hardware design on modern rack mount boxes.

2 Likes

Now that is class. @Archon I carry a complete set of tools with me–saws, to dremels, to hand tools, in my car–but it is a good day when I don’t have to use them :smiley:

5 Likes

For the longest time, my prized possession at the office was a “Compaq Tool” that was a screwdriver with interchangeable bits stored in the handle with all of the Phillips, flat and torx bits needed for stripping down a Compaq server to its elemental pieces.

6 Likes

I’m lucky that Priority Colo has a set of tools available should I need them, but for working on the systems themselves, HP’s done a great job of maing everything from rail installation to swapping fans tool-less :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Impressed - but also being reminded of how by pulling the wrong bit on a g4(?) Mac, I could (accidently) make the side fall open with the still-functioning mainboard attached. (Some things are protected by a screw) :slight_smile:

(Actually, there was a nice run of Macs from the SEii onwards that were nicely minimum tool access. Good engineering and construction - but now I’m geeking as well as boasting about comedic clumsiness.)

3 Likes

Niiice.