Book discussion - The Quarry - Chapter 4

This comment wins the discussion thus far.

1 Like

Yeah, I suppose this isn’t the best book for a discussion group like this. But we picked it, democratically. Next time, we’ll know to either pick a “meatier” book, or if it’s like this, perhaps discuss it every other chapter, or the whole book at once (though I still think prefer the every chapter way, only because I’m a fan of detailed discussions). I hope we’ll do The Name of the Rose next, it was my submission and had the second most votes!

That one has a plot and interesting characters. Do we like that sort of thing?

2 Likes

If this turkey is an example of the democratic process at work, I’m all for a dictatorship.

1 Like

Yes indeed we do. Why else do we keep hanging around Duck’s Pond?

I wonder if there isn’t a bit of the prejudice in which, because someone has a disability, it must mean they’re not very intelligent in general. Or because he’s still a teen. There definitely seems to be some sort of “I’m more right than you” going on, and a general disrespect to Kit.

2 Likes

Holy moly, great minds think alike!

1 Like

Well, The Name of the Rose was almost picked by the democratic process as well… but I guess almost isn’t enough in politics. It seemed like it wasn’t the book that people were most interested in that won (not that people weren’t interested in The Quarry), but the one that was least disliked or that people had no opinion on. I guess that’s how democracy works.

Wait, if I submitted it, does that make me the dictator? Oh hell yes! I’ve read a book on how to be a dictator (I really have), so you can be sure I know my stuff. So vote for me and …oh, wait.

4 Likes

Interesting. I enjoyed the film of that so would at least have had some idea about the book.

If there was only one vote in it, then the win is due to the system disenfranchising less able voters. It really is just like the real thing. :laughing:

You can have my vote as dictator anytime, as long as I get a cushy cabinet post. Minister for Sport and Leisure should do it. :beer: :soccer:

1 Like

Only if you promise to make Donald write all his comments on In The Name Of The Rose in a Sean Connery accent.

5 Likes

That’sh quite a shmartarshe thing to shay, lad.

4 Likes

yeah, coupled with the bit about how much better she felt she was than the others i.e. “I’m the important person, I’m the one with something to lose,” and saying it to the autistic kid who won’t say anything rather than in the presence of her alleged friends, this seemed a pointed bit of character development for Alison. Type-A (which we sort-of knew already,) but also manipulative and desperate.

1 Like

It’s been interesting for me to stick with a book I didn’t particularly enjoy in order to enjoy talking about it with other people.

5 Likes

The conversation’s been good to read, I just wish there was a bit more substance in the book for me so that I could say something about it, rather than just whinging about how crap it is and helping with cultural references .
shrugs

5 Likes

I’m still trundling along chapter by chapter, mostly because I have lots of other stuff I need to write/read in the next few weeks (conferences and fellowship application upcoming).

Be glad we didn’t pick Anderson’s The War of the Worlds.

It’s Friday, I’m procrastinating, and @Raita said she has a lot on her plate right now, so I’ll copy the first couple of posts from this thread into a new one to discuss Chapter 5.

2 Likes

new thread link:

1 Like

Oh, duh, knew I forgot something…thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 714 days. New replies are no longer allowed.