Book discussion - The Quarry - Chapter 6

Are you mocking Finland again? I’ll call @Raita on you!

1 Like

#You can’t mock what does not exist

1 Like

What has this book reduced us to? Egads!

2 Likes

I don’t know… I sort of feel like this chapter was incredibly important, yet simultaneously boring as hell.

4 Likes

Well, it was the last straw for Holly as a decent person, with the way she took advantage of Kit’s trust in her.

Did we really go 40+ comments before bringing that up?

4 Likes

Yeah, kinda hard to believe. I guess we’re all fed up with her and the book.

4 Likes

I thought the bones might be his mother too, or someone else for that matter - like a ritual killing that they filmed and that’s what’s on the tape. It isn’t really explained what he sees down there besides “goat bones” which certainly could have been misidentified (and could be part of the ritual killing) - I assume it’s revealed in the next chapter. For a brief moment I thought it just might turn out to be a nice dark twist, though there aren’t really enough pages left for that.

3 Likes

Dang, you all went much more interesting places with this than I did. I was like “meh, bones, probably an animal” and didn’t think anything of it. Maybe I’d given up on Banks’ willingness to provide me with any actual interesting plot twists?

@funruly’s point is really a good one - this is the chapter where we find out that, nope, (spoiler not spoiler) Hol is as much of an asshole as everyone else and everyone who’s not Kit and was surprised by this, raise your hand? Yeah, I figured. So on the one hand, points to Banks for not making her a total cardboard wish fulfillment character (“I had no MUM and no one would be my MUM except this one lady, maybe she’d be my MUM except that I also fancy her and she’s kind of my best mate but fancying my mate who is also my MUM is kind of weird, thank goodness she’s PERFECT”). But on the other hand, I guess who would stay friends with this sad lot other than someone looking for their own sad angle?

5 Likes

Ever read Gregory Benford? cosm felt clunky.

1 Like

I read his fucking awful Foundation book. Greg Bear and David Brin’s were much better. Is his other stuff worth reading?

1 Like

he’s been involved with a lot of team novels, and short stories, as well. I remember liking Timescape, Artifact, Heart of the Comet (with Niven). Moving Mars was pretty good. I’ve made it about 83 percent of the way through the galactic center novels before it started to bore me. But in Cosm, it felt like he was somehow obligated to write a “strong female character”. I enjoy Big Dumb Artifact stories, and he usually delivered the goods,

No, I haven’t read any of the Non-Clarke Foundations.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s Friday! We can finish this thing!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 701 days. New replies are no longer allowed.