Book discussion thingie P3 - Reading "The Quarry"

It’s only wafer thin!

If it is and I actually get the thing in my hands, then maybe there’ll be time to catch up. It’s a book I really intend to read. Iain M Banks has given me a lot of reading pleasure over the years — I’ve been reading him since ‘Player of Games’ was published in '88 and hoped he’d still be going strong for a long time. :frowning:

But … it’s going to be competing with a desk full of accumulated work and the required reading for a distance learning degree, so I’m not hopeful.

Sorry to hear that. :disappointed:

Of course, you’re welcome to jump in at any point. One chapter (or around 40 pages) a week is a fairly slow reading rate so it’s possible that if there comes a point during the next 2 months where you’ll have a little bit of extra time, you might be able to catch up to the discussion (not that I know or make assumptions about how much time you have for things).

You can always discuss the book as a whole after we’re done - even if it’s days or weeks after we’ve officially stopped reading, I’m sure Boingers are the type of people to go on and on and on about the book (just look at these three pre-book threads, we’ve basically written a book about getting ready to read a book). And I might even read the book twice and see if I notice anything new.

1 Like

Fortunately the first chapter is only 34 pages and it’s not an academic tome. Can you read while eating any of your meals?

I’ll try. But it’s not even here yet!

1 Like

Well then, you’ll look pretty silly reading an invisible book in the employee cafeteria!

5 Likes

Since we seem to be done arguing about publishing formats, I motion that we move to brainstorm solutions for Aeon.

Can you assign a physician of lesser stature to read and summerize it for you? Like an intern or a resident or whatever you call those things?

2 Likes

AIUI, @aeon’s a Gasman, which means they have highly skilled nurses to do all the hard work for them*, leaving plenty of time for reading. :wink:

*According to Mrs. Martian. Anaesthetists may vary.

3 Likes

And for playing Guyball.

1 Like

You can tell your wife “Bollocks!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Only patient notes and related educational material in Theatre for me. It’s highly depressing having someone die or get damaged on your watch and I like doing what I do too much to mess around and risk it … :mask:

To precis, critique and present a bit of research or a technical journal article, absolutely. :smile:

Novels not so much. Particularly if there’s no $#%&*$!! book to read!

4 Likes

:laughing:

No way. I’ve seen what you lot can do to people that are asleep. I’m just glad there’s the Tasman Sea in the way.

Any volunteers to read and summarise Cozby’s ‘Methods in Behavioural Research’ for me? :innocent:

3 Likes

True house physicians would tell them the central characters of this book each have their own medical conditions. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The butler did it.

3 Likes

As I remember, the Kid gets to Mars.

2 Likes

…in The Library with an unfeasibly long and very boring Psychology textbook. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

James Blish, no? Don’t recall any Cozby’s in that …

[Nah, better than that!][1]

:wink:
[1]: Badass Dragons of the Wasteland - Final Round

3 Likes

I have had this book on my list of books I never seem to get around to since Cory posted his review a while back. I just found out about the BB book club today and read through all of the previous posts (why I did this I am not sure, now that I did it :wink: )

So, I’m in - here’s my e-copy :smile:

5 Likes

Slippin’ in under the wire! Now get Chapter One read in the next 2.53 hours!

2 Likes