Book discussion thingie P3 - Reading "The Quarry"

Love my paperwhite, got one for my dad’s wife to use while she’s undergoing chemo and radiation, got one for my partner’s mom for whatever.

I know a friend who has the Fire and likes it but she likes to watch TV on it in bed, which is not for me. Paperwhite is the closest thing to reading a paperback that doesn’t require a book light I’ve found.

1 Like

I’ve had no problem reading in Fb Reader on my two android phones.

But I have the Quarry in hard copy from there library, now.

I picked up my library copy yesterday. :slight_smile:

Sorry! Busy weekend!

I should have the book by this week - either order through ILL at my school library, or I’ll go grab a copy at the book store!

2 Likes

Tips for removing conjoined Tasmanian Devils welcome.

7 Likes

Yay, more people are getting their books. Since everyone is posting a picture of their copy, I had to do the same.

Here’s the book, along with the only other Iain Banks book I actually own (you can see Name of the Rose in the background, subtly reminding people of what a great read it would’ve been, and it sure was close… but no, I’m really happy we’re reading The Quarry - maybe some other time, Eco :smiley: ).

I also had to take a meta picture:

5 Likes

Got it - gave up and went for the e-book… I suppose that I can post a screenshot so that I can be like the cool kids.

4 Likes

No, the cool kids have a physical copy to boast around. Although mine is only from the library, so I’m just pretending… I guess the real cool kids actually OWN a physical copy.

Edited my previous post to show that you have the book.

2 Likes

I have briefly—and somewhat repeatedly—considered taking a picture of my tabby (tablet, not cat … anyone who thinks they can own cats doesn’t understand what’s going on in a household with cats). So far so good but I can’t make any promises.

2 Likes

I started reading.

Spoiler alert.

a wild chav appears

Yeah, I finally finished chapter one and in the spirit of the thing poked ahead in chapter two (it’s not cheating … y’all do not want to wait on me when discussion time comes just because I didn’t get around to it). I have so many things to talk about it’s almost annoying not talking about it right now.

1 Like

You think that’s annoying? I’m going to finish it tonight.

3 Likes

I am definitely sleeping rather than doing that. :laughing: Last book I stayed up all night for was Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go and I had gotten far enough into it in one day (plus, swine flu … wish I was kidding) that I couldn’t possibly not finish it. Little too early in The Quarry for me to be having one of those moments. :rabbit:

1 Like

my god that book. I went into it knowing nothing and by the time I figured out what was going on :scream:

1 Like

I know. That is a seriously messed up concept but I felt for the characters so much it’s one of my favorite books.

1 Like

You guuuyyyyyyysssss!!! :cop:

If you read on schedule with us, you’ll be able to discuss on schedule with us, instead of bursting at the seams with eagerness.

C’mon! Show a little discipline here!

3 Likes

For me, it’s one or the other. Either read a little bit ahead or feel bad all the way through as I’m behind you all. :laughing: But I’m not much ahead.

1 Like

I finished it, but I haven’t returned it yet. Might try to renew it anyway so I can keep it, think it’s due back in two weeks.

1 Like

Dictating how people read books? What is this, a police state?.But no really, let them read I say, as long as there’s no spoilers or “oh, if you only knew…” kind of teasing.

I do kind of fear that some people who have already read the book will discuss the chapters in a different way and have different opinions, because they know what happens and can understand the meaning of certain things. That can’t be helped, obviously; some might have already read the book before this group even begun (has someone?), some have no choice but to read it faster and some people just can’t help binge reading.

I don’t know, I’ve never been in a book club before so I don’t know how these discussions really work out in practice or how different factors affect it. I’m curious to see how eagerly people will discuss different aspects; characters, milieu, writing style, plot, dialogue, metaphorical meanings, details…

Personally, I haven’t touched the Quarry yet. I’ve been thinking about reading the first chapter to get a taste of what’s to come, but I’ve been busy. Maybe it’s better to wait a little (even if I don’t plan on strictly adhering to the group’s reading schedule) so my eagerness grows till it’s busting at the seams.

I’m also pretty sure I’m gonna take notes right after finishing a chapter. I love taking notes. Mmm.

2 Likes

I’ll be leaving each chapter to the night before the discussion takes place. After the enthused encouragement of discipline from @Donald_Petersen in the loomio and in previous discussion here.
I’m convinced that discovering the book at the same time as other readers will lead to a kind of synchronised and amplified enjoyment of the books unfolding.

Buuut, seems like now I might be nearly the only one doing this. Harumph. :wink: