Brazil now digging up the dead from cemeteries to make room for new COVID-19 deaths

It is not a question of COVID-19 but of money and monopoly. In the city of São Paulo the funerary industry belongs to the municipality there is no free market for caskets, graves and cremation, there are a few private cemeteries that were in business before the law that established the monopoly.
The contract with the Vila Formosa cemetery says according to local news article:
-a municipal decree that determines that the family must request exhumation in up to three years for dead people and in up to two years for children up to six years old …
See more https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2020/06/11/sp-prefeitura-compra-conteineres-ossadas.htm?cmpid=copiaecola

2 Likes

Another alternative is donating your body to a university or a hospital to help them with some research or teaching.
If I’m not mistaken, some places have really strict policies to obtain new bodies or body parts to avoid grave robbery and other awful things.

3 Likes

Or maybe we should treat funeral services as a normal part of our lives instead of a means of making bank? Death is part of what defines us. Making a profit off of it by proposing some god damn circus is kind of sick. That’s Cailtin’s entire fucking point. For literally centuries burying our beloved in the ground was good the fuck enough. how about we stop treating death like a business opportunity?

I think this is an excellent alternative to burial or cremation, actually.

6 Likes

Yeah though we heard recently that some bodies are given to the military to test munitions. It has to be done I suppose and once you are dead, you aren’t going to know about it, but I think it might put a few people off the “donating to science” path.

1 Like

Well that’s horrible. Not because I think it particularly matters what happens to my body after death but I certainly wouldn’t want to support the military industrial complex like that.

1 Like

Not very practical in modern society, but I support the old tradition of leaving bodies for scavengers. Cycle of life, and all that. I’d rather feed a wolf than worms. Too bad we collect so much toxins during our long lives that our bodies aren’t healthy food nowadays. Also I suppose it isn’t a good idea to get predators used to the idea that humans are food.

1 Like

Digging up the dead with a shovel and a pick
It’s a job, it’s a job
Bloody moon rising with a plague and a flood
Join the mob, join the mob

1 Like

Towers of silence could be built to keep out ground-based predators while allowing scavenger birds to do the cleanup.

5 Likes

Man, that would suck to live in a country like that!

(Sobs uncontrollably)

6 Likes

I’m actually surprised they haven’t opted to chop down more of their rainforest for the burials. Oh. My mistake; the rainforests are for the developers.

1 Like

Yes, you have firsthand experience. You live in a country ruled by a preening, science-denying autocrat!

2 Likes

It occurs to me that that “reef building” is quite possibly just good PR spin on “dumping garbage in the ocean”.

Like, how lucky for us that blowing up our old destroyers and building giant oil rigs is great for the environment.

3 Likes

Well, we haven’t gone full cyberpunk dystopia yet.

That would involve burning the corpses, new and old as fuel to heat the settlement built on top of the grave and the unburnable parts used for fertilizer or something.

So, like September if our timeline keeps going as it has.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.