Bret Easton Ellis interviewed by Isaac Chotiner

I think it is a perfectly reasonable thing to say that you dont care about politics.

But if you dont care about politics… WHY ARE YOU WRITING A BOOK OR GIVING AN INTERVIEW ABOUT IT???

I dont care one bit about a thousand things, and guess what, I dont talk about them.

13 Likes

Is that you, BEE?

i.e., gimme a f’ing break.

13 Likes

Welcome, to BBS. Enjoy your stay.

7 Likes

I don’t care that someone said something similar. Oh damn, that means I do care.

3 Likes

Bret Easton Ellis is white privilege personified. Fuck that guy. And anyone who likes the self-indulgent crap he writes. Oh, does that mean I’m biased? Well, no shit, Sherlock.

6 Likes

Dont over analyze BEE. He has always been a troll. I got quite a ways into his novel Lunar Park before I realized I was reading a work of fiction. Also this is the same guy who made his literary career off of sensationalizing child murder and rape, as well as acts of indescribable (before he came along) torture, not a paragon for morality. He is a master class contrarian by nature who peaked in the Reagan era.

4 Likes

It’s like with the Fight Club guy, the slow sinking realization that Tyler Durden is supposed to be actually cool, rather than understood as the dweeby drone narrator’s sad fantasy of masculinity.

12 Likes

In general, I have always liked Chotiner’s interviews since he was at Slate and I still love many of them. I didn’t appreciate this one though. I have heard Ellis speak before and I don’t agree with many of his views. However, sometimes Chotiner veers into antagonizing the person he is interviewing rather than drawing them out.

I didn’t read the books for either American Psycho or Fight Club but sometimes it’s fun to see how filmmakers adapt a novel by an author whose worldview they clearly disagree with, like how Paul Verhoeven not-so-subtlety turned Heinlein’s Starship Troopers into satirical critique of rampant militarism instead of an unironic celebration of it.

9 Likes

You can’t fool me with that picture of Jay McInerney.

But veteran pollsters who spoke with POLITICO called the number suspect, citing issues with the poll’s sample size and methodology. Broader polling data show little sign that Trump’s standing with Hispanics is on the rise.

7 Likes

Anybody wanna jump on the films of Lars Von Trier while we’re at it. Love his work also. And I am not BEE…but I may be Henry Chinaski

American-psycho-smub

6 Likes

Total aside: I am adoring the new avatar.

4 Likes

Mostly misogynistic shite that’s not even worth the energy it would take to jump, IMHO.

4 Likes

Thanks!

jump

7 Likes

I don’t think that you’re giving Chuck Palahniuk enough credit.
His books are a lot of fun.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

It is often said that De Kooning’s women are misogynistic.
Eh, maybe… I like 'em.

In fairness to Ellis I think that his literary Bateman isn’t sympathetic at all and criticism of the book as misogynist typically misses the point the same way people missed the point of Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers. Likely because Ellis is (as Chotiner demostrated) a trolley who is curiously limited when it comes to talking about, and perhaps understanding, his own thinking and work.

But Mary Harron’s movie so excellently boils down the book to the good stuff that I think the “canonical” American Psycho/Bateman is now as as much her (and Christian Bale’s ) creation as Ellis’.

If Heinlein’s Starship Troopers is an earnest fascism and Vehoeven’s the opposite by parody, Ellis’s American Psycho is a shallow critique of consumerism given depth by Harron’s feminism.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.