Brilliant new photography book captures the American West's vanishing signs and symbols

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/05/brilliant-new-photography-book.html

5 Likes

FYI: Here’s an interesting business venture that curates photo books for you.

https://charcoalbookclub.com/

Pair with a wine club and it’s all good!

2 Likes

Reminds me of the work of Bryan McCormick and others who together documented the vanishing signage of Las Vegas - in a project called Vegas Vernacular.

1 Like

Damnit, I am a sucker for books like this.

2 Likes

1 Like

Great book idea! I took a car trip out west with my daughter this past March; we stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, NM (pictured). It’s the real deal. If you get hip to this timely tip, and want to experience some of that Route 66 magic, make sure you spend a night or two at the Blue Swallow. Great gift shop, super nice owners, and some of the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept in. Excellent donut shop about a block away too.

A couple years ago, I got into a thing where I wanted to photograph all the old signs in town. Many were once neon lit, most of them may still exist where their associated business is gone. I didn’t get very far with it, and I’m now seeing that some of the signs themselves are starting to disappear. If I’m serious about it, there’s no time to lose. Especially true in this age of corporate franchises (as this book’s description contains).

Anyone here familiar with Mel Cotton’s? His sign wasn’t all that much to look at, but it was up for a number of years decades.

1 Like

Pretty nifty, but still my favorite coffee table book ever was simply one of parking lots. Large, empty parking lots. Though I do wonder if anyone went thru with Kramer’s idea of a coffee table book on coffee tables (it has a coaster right on the front!).

That one just became apartments on San Carlos and Race- I think the sign and the mural (painted only a few years ago) were both well documented by “Lost San Jose” but I’ve been thinking about documenting the motels up and down the highway- one of my favorites lost the iconic wagon wheel that was involved in the sign out front- just a brick hole now.

Anyway, came here to say I really loved Steve Fitch’s earlier work Gone, and I’ll probably get this one too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.