Broke in the US: Americans relocating to affordable destinations

Indeed;

Privilege blindness is real.

17 Likes

I would even call it recipient versus provider of privilege blindness.

If you’re not the one making all the arrangements for your immediate and extended family group, plus friends, you don’t realize how hard it will hit when none of that is available anymore. There’s only so much magic your partner can do for you if you move them thousands of miles away from their community.

14 Likes

It’s actually kind of nice though. I recommend everyone try it!

9 Likes

Heresy; if everyone has privilege is “special,” then no one is special!

8 Likes

9 Likes

Such a weird claim in an otherwise great movie. Empowering everyone is bad? We can’t all be super in different ways? :confused:

7 Likes

That’s the point, exactly; the villain makes it seem as if everyone being empowered is a bad thing, because then his own “powers” mean less.

7 Likes

Dash says it too though.

Everyone's special, Dash.

7 Likes

Yeah, despite The Iron Giant being a perfect movie, Brad Bird has revealed some… troubling political and philosophical leanings in subsequent films.

7 Likes

Dash was thinking like the villain, who was proven wrong in the end.

The Incredibles succeeded because the family worked together, combining their different powers.

Okay, I have to stop now; I am starting to feel ill, defending a Disney property.

:nauseated_face:

13 Likes

… IIRC the villain’s evil scheme was to empower everyone, and the “heroes” had to stop him :thinking:

3 Likes

No, the villain’s scheme was to slaughter superheroes, then show off with his superpowers by setting his robots against the city and coming to “save” them from the danger he had caused, and only share his supertech when he got bored of playing the hero.

Syndrome is a bad guy, and he is not trying to empower everyone. If that was what he wanted, he could have done so without killing anyone, since he was a gadgeteer super from the start. He’s a supervillain through and through, and people mistaking him as anything else is a failure of media literacy and paying attention.

8 Likes

Very similar to me, I came to Japan with every expectation of learning Japanese but despite living here twice now for over 5 years, having a Japanese wife and kids, I am still completely rubbish.

At the risk of being diagnosed by Doctor Internet, I too am wondering if I have ADHD or Language Processing Disorder.

6 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I’m working hard right now on gaining German citizenship by descent. It’s challenging bureaucratically.

6 Likes

Brainfart old graffiti:

When the revolution comes, everyone will drive a Rolls Royce!

What if we don’t want to drive a Rolls?

After the revolution, you won’t have a choice!

/s

4 Likes

I’ve been living in Germany since 1990, with no German heritage to speak of (I’m a Yankee through and through, who could only claim heritage to Quebec or Ireland, end even then my ancestors came to New Hampshire in the 19th century). And I am doing moderately well without a German pass.

Now, once the proposed law is finally passed, mind you, I will apply for dual citizenship, because I do believe in participating in a democratic society.

6 Likes

Which one, German or Bavarian?

I have no doubts whatsoever that you will ace the Einbürgerungstest either way, though.

10 Likes

Franconian.

As I was taught when I arrived here:

13 Likes

Yup. The bit where ‘FIRE’ is ‘part mantra, part goal’ says it all doesn’t it? It’s the same jerks ‘downsizing’ into insta-perfect tiny homes on their parents’ land who are ‘geoarbitraging’ by living it up in countries with huge wealth disparities, because of course. :unamused:

11 Likes

Sounds like you’ve figured out what will work for your family. However, be prepared for some local resentment after you settle in.

Your situation is similar to some of the pressures being put on British Columbia’s health care system. Folks often retire to BC having never contributed to BC’s medical services plan or income tax base that supports health care. Generally, most health care costs are incurred later in life. One might argue that retirement income will be taxed at that point onwards, but retirement income is generally far less than working income and is taxed less in Canada. Maybe Europe too, I don’t know.

Speaking of tax, will you (or other geoarbitragers) move retirement savings to Europe? That is another problem in Canada with some wealthy immigrants moving only enough funds in to set themselves up with houses, cars and walking around cash. Little investment in industry and no tax on income nor capital.

I’m not trying to be mean; just pointing out that demand for services is not necessarily aligned with funding for them.

3 Likes