Brother laser printers praised

My HL2030 driver originally came from here (and it looks like they do have a 2040 one!):

Yep, I too got one that had slightly broken the paper tray feeder. So now I just manual feed…mine was $10 so almost as good as yours, not quite.

3 Likes

HP low ink

10 Likes

… I wonder if their new printers work with their old word processors and laptops :thinking:

2 Likes

No 2nd-hand daisy wheels available?

6 Likes

You are my hero

1 Like

My father was a writer and he had one of those Brother word processors. It was a fascinating bit of computing history.

As an aside, HP printer drivers also fucking suck. It’s like a 200 MB download filled with a bunch of crapware just to get basic functionality working. Is Brother any better?

I have an HP color laser that’s some 7 years old now and doesn’t look like it’s going to crap out on my any time soon, but it’s good to know there’s options.

4 Likes

Amen, Brother!

1 Like

Boustrophedon ftw!

4 Likes

Uh, cups is much simpler… Making Windows 10 to print to a CUPS printer over the network – Janne's Tech Blog

3 Likes

At the risk of getting a little off topic; after I posted I started googling around a little and found a nice How-To for setting up a Raspberry Pi Cups print server How to Make a Raspberry Pi-Powered Print Server | Tom's Hardware. Too bad Pis still seem to be out of stock pretty much everywhere… Raspberry Pi Zero W Budget Pack - Includes Pi Zero W : ID 3410 : $34.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

3 Likes

Similarly, I just retired my 1999 IBM laser printer. Its output quality was still great for a single page but more than one and all subsequent pages got grayer and grayer. The replacement I chose was (perhaps unfortunately) an HP color laser MFP. This is an upgrade mostly because it can print duplex but also because I won’t need to use our old inkjet printer for color output.

1 Like

ezgif.com-add-text

4 Likes

Yup. They just, you know, print. And scan. For ages.
But the best thing about them - they ain’t heavy.

5 Likes

Will Smith Applause GIF

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.