Brutalist Sandcastles

That’s not Brutalist.
It’s too imaginative.

3 Likes

I wonder if one would be pleased or horrified, taking children to the beach, and they studiously cranked out this style of sandcastle?.

3 Likes

?

8 Likes

Why aye, bonny lad. That’s the stuff! Aaaaah, I miss that thing. And the market. It’s all a giant fucking Tescos now. They basically bought all of Gateshead and knocked it down. Including the only chippy I’ve ever been to where one could order a dozen oysters. Fuckers.

7 Likes

brutalist, green and really pleasant

9 Likes

Since they’re at Coney Island, I assume brutalist in this case refers to all the broken glass that will cut up your hands while you dig in the sand…

3 Likes

Good catch; artist has white blood on the case, hence just water as the other ingredient as opposed to mucilage or wallpaper sizing or that the large grains (and glass if you prefer) are discarded (hence extra water.) It’s less than 2% the blood, so…

8 Likes

Is the inclusion of the maker’s blood a way of preventing the emergence of a brutalist golem?

4 Likes

Yes, but from the -inside- (see kcsaff’s comment above), the former is a much more enjoyable place to be.

1 Like

Cigarette butts could be used as rebar.

3 Likes

That thing is so bleak…it shall be my wallpaper for a while.

4 Likes

To be fair, both “brut” and “brutal” both come from the same Latin word brutus. Brut in French doesn’t mean just raw, but also crude.

One can argue that English actually has somewhat related meanings. Brutal honesty is raw and unvarnished and brutal language for crude.

7 Likes

“I make sandcastles but without any of the details other people bother with.”

5 Likes

It’s a nice idea but it would be a terrorist magnet.

I have to use a SAD lamp just because of our long winters.
I do take the point people are making about the interiors of brutalist buildings, but to be fair they were often designed for environments where large expanses of glass were not desirable, before modern glass technology.

This is where I went to university:

A friend had rooms in Trinity. They certainly looked far more impressive with stone vaulting and Perp windows, but he came to us on cold days in winter for the central heating and the available light.

4 Likes

but the details are in your imagination. they remind me of a good book cover illustration. evocative, without spoon feeding you the details.

edt: I tried this today but the sand was too coarse at the beach I chose, everything kept fracturing. Also sculpting those seemingly innocuous shapes ishard

1 Like

What/where the hell is that? I’m intrigued by what looks to be some kind of water-scrubbing via plants? Probably not, though.

1 Like

that’s the Barbican Centre in London - the trees are in the center of each pod, which is a seating area with the floor set below the level of the water - they give an excellent tour, and the terrific Museum of London is adjacent

3 Likes

It looks bizarre and fascinating all in one go. For better or worse, London has always seen me right out of the airport and into a pub of some kind, only to emerge to the British Museum for a bit, and then back to the pub. Love the weather, too.

2 Likes

If that’s a penthouse, they own too many cars.

7 Likes