Bugs with the new BBS system

wait, what where? rss is kind of a problem child on discourse, was a community contributed feature and needs lots of polish.

Which RSS feed are you talking about?

the youtube embeds used to come up, it was the comics that didn’t ever load to begin with

We are going to have to re-write the embed code, but it is going to have to wait at least a few weeks.

1 Like

The regular old BoingBoing.net RSS feed to Outlook. It didn’t start happening until the layout on the main page changed. Stuff that shows up on .net at, say, 17:00 GMT today will sometimes show up in RSS with a date from last week. It’s like Perseval Dunwoody, Idiot Time Traveler has taken over my RSS feed.

3 Likes

I see, so not any of the RSS on bbs.boingboing.net@beschizza @deanputney is this on your side?

For at least a week, I’ve been seeing icons replaced with the Linux symbols that indicate missing glyphs – boxes with the Unicode for the glyph. From looking at the page source, it looks like those are supposed to be rendered with Fontawesome, which is loaded dynamically – I’m not a Web designer, so I’m not sure.

In troubleshooting, I found that if I disable the Firefox extension HTTPS Everywhere, that the icons are rendered correctly.

As a temporary workaround, I downloaded FontAwesome.otf from their Github repository and placed it in ~/.fonts (in Linux), which I preferred to the obvious alternative of leaving HTTPS Everywhere disabled.

This totally makes sense to me now.

HTTPS Everywhere is kind of silly, it is not treating sites “holistically” … bbs.boingboing.net is not in its whitelist so its delivered over http, however the CDN is in its whitelist so its delivering the assets over HTTPS… However … its kind of silly about how its doing that and stripping some very important headers that actually make fonts work.

I do really hope they fix this bug, kind of makes the plugin a huge problem child.

Is boingboing.net/feed broken? If it is, dean can take care of it

Bug report: I wrote a post in the wrong forum. I deleted it, went to the right forum, and posted it there.

BBS won’t let me post it: “Body too similar to what you recently posted.”

(I’ve already noted how annoying this “feature” is, but this seems like a pretty clear problem.)

Why delete it? Why not simply edit the category? Or do you mean replying to the wrong topic?

Right, wrong topic, not forum, sorry.

yo, all the threads that I’ve marked as “watching” are now all showing “regular” today. is this something that I did accidentally (I don’t really see how) or is this something that y’all did?

the larger problem is that these are the only three that I remember, so a thread that I marked to watch and then forgot about is one that I’ll never see again?

We did not do anything I know of. However be aware that dismiss unread button on the unread page will switch all topics on the unread page to regular state. That is how it dismisses unread.

so the unread page means “unread notifications,” not “unread topics,” which is obviously what the new page is but I’m a little thick–I’ve got it now. that explains why stuff I had read was always there, but I incorrectly assumed it wasn’t registering what I’d read properly since I use gwwar’s script to browse. I officially feel dumb.

I’ll, uh, stop clearing the unread page with the dismiss button (∘=̴⃙̀˘︷˘=̴⃙́∘) I thought I was just tidying up. it’s all clear to me now.

Thanks.

1 Like

Dismiss Unread means “I don’t care about these topics any more.” I would not use the button unless that’s what you mean.

I usually clear things off the unread list I actually care about (by reading them), then when I am left with the dregs of topics I don’t even want to read, I press the button.

We’re adding a tooltip to make this more clear.

1 Like

To make this more clear we now offer Dismiss Posts and Dismiss Topics buttons on the Unread page.

Dismiss Posts is what you were originally thinking of. The hover tooltips on each button elaborate.

much more intuitive :^)

I just had this happen with Safari on a brand new iPad. I was reading the Bacon press story, pressed the little BBS icon to return to the topic list, then read the Fictional products story. I then swiped the page to return to the topics list and instead was returned to the bottom of the bacon press thread.

If you go to the comments page and click the “Show Full Post” button, then click the ‘like’ Heart symbol, the Full Story disappears.

oh.
https://meta.discourse.org/t/weird-bug-makes-full-post-inaccessible-after-you-like-the-post/16097
I will not do that.

1 Like

either way, thanks for reporting to this thread so I won’t be freaked out when it happens and know that it’s been addressed.

speaking of, still waiting on comics and videos to appear with “show full post.”

for vids, if the posters would remember to always include a link to embeds, that would be almost as good. @deanputney, I will direct that particular complaint to you, assuming you are the proper liaison.