"But slavery was so long ago"

I’m curious how they reason 1619-1776 was ‘American’ slavery, my understanding of history is that it was just another British colony (well, loose collection of 13 colonies) until those uppity Pilgrims started making trouble around the mid-1700s.

Unfortunately that diagram is missing a label for whatever the fuck we are going through now, and once we have a law or constitutional amendment that makes it clearly illegal then we can finish that chart. In the meantime we can try to fill it in:

• Institutional & Cultural Racism
  • We are actually still racist but in Denial
  • I have a friend who is black.
  • We’re not gonna count that first 150yrs cause it wasn’t America yet.
3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Geography, not polity, that’s all. American rather than Usonian.

I took it as @pbasch saying that people who haven’t suffered from the negative effects of slavery shouldn’t tell people who have to “get over it”. As stated,

If people can get over things, find forgiveness for or triumph over obstacles in their path, well that might well be great, but it’s not helpful to demand that they do so.

Just my interpretation, obviously, but that’s the parallel I saw.

5 Likes

I took @pbasch’s story as saying someone had caused him trauma, and, when it was expressed, that same person told him it was in the past and that he should just “get over it.”

The father in the parable is playing the role of white people…

Edit: I see @Medievalist got there first.

3 Likes

In fact, it is very possible to have conversations with many African Americans who have vivid memories of Jim Crow South and the racist and subversive practices in the North.

One can have conversations with African Americans and other people of color who have memories of racist and subversive practices that occurred just today.

15 Likes

The same way Harvard is an American university.

10 Likes

I was just going to mention that 13th Amendment loophole.

7 Likes

Anyway, maybe a poc will design a similar shirt.

Most forms are still not illegal.

6 Likes

Because the graph shows when the law began to change.
1619 is when slavery began.
1865 is when emancipation began.
1954 is when desegregation began.

That’s outlined in the post.

Because the graph shows when the law began to change.

That’s outlined in the post, which also details why the green area is untitled.

The graph doesn’t imply that it ended, only that the law changed.

Yup. That’s exactly why the green area is unlabeled.

This shows when the law began to change, not when things ended.

I’d argue (and I state on the post is when slavery began. 1865 is when emancipation began. 1954 is when desegregation began.) that both segregation and slavery continue.

1954 is when desegregation began, which is outlined in the post.

:arrow_left: Boing Boing noob. How do you reply to multiple people at once?

1 Like

That’s exactly why that last segment is unlabeled.

her crime, not wanting to pay 50 cents for plastic utensils, and asking for the contact info for management = violent police response.

We’re not far, at all, from feudalism and enslavement. A thin blue line away, most places.

8 Likes

By the time the first slaves arrived in Virginia, the continent had been named America for over 100 years.

2 Likes