C Is for Cthulhu: The Lovecraft Alphabet Book

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/25/c-is-for-cthulhu-the-lovecraf.html

7 Likes

“C is for Cthulhu”? I hardly think this is the kind of thing we should be encouraging our children to read. Personally, I forcefully encourage mine to read the Holy Bible, where they learn that C is for Jesus!

12 Likes

That explains everything.

8 Likes

In that future, whenever a christian physicist can’t complete a formulae, they’ll put a tiny crucifix symbol down and declare it a new number.

4 Likes

If it’s meant to be read aloud to children, I certainly hope it includes a pronunciation guide.

3 Likes

You may also enjoy:

10 Likes

Is “R” for “Racist overtones,”?

if H is for Hastur, we’re doomed.

2 Likes

A͍̲͍̜̬͈̠͢ ̮̘̟̱͝i͏̫s̷̞̟͖͓̫̝͙ ̷̜͕̼͈̪f͉or̟ ̨̣̬̲͚̠̱A̟̗̱P͔̣͈L̺͙̰̙,̶̖̠ ̸̮̦̘̠̞̮̼
̡͈̩͓̘t̘̗͔̖̘̮͞o̫̪̖̥͖ ̱̲͇̲̪͈̤͟c̱r̛a̤̺f̸t̸͙̙̗̻̥ ̵͉̻͍͔̜͍͎ṱ́h̺̪̝͍͚̜͡e͎̺̜͖̭ ̶̻͈c̰̖a̙͖͓̻̭͇n͍̲̺͎͝t̞͇̺͎̬̮r̟̹̬͖i̘̻̳͖̻p̪̫̪̳͍͔̲s̫̦̩̱̙̮̞ ̡͎̭t͇̪h̫̻͓a̪t ̰̫̜̥͚c͡a̜̰̟̖̖̟l͚̗̼̜̳̦l̳̺̖͝ ̧̦̩̭͕T͕h̕o̸̜̜̮se̶̠̲̤ ͏͉͍͖͕͔͉W̠ͅh͈̗̲͍o̸̭̱͉̱͔̞ ̥͝W͖a͙̫͟i͓̯̞͢t͔̗͔̫͍̜̗̕ ̱̟̬̦̻̹B̶͕̮̣̭e͉̳̯͎͇h̹̠́in̮̝̰̯̫d͍̖͈͈͞ ́T͎̗̀h̭̥e̮͇̫̲͚ ̜̰Wa̛͈͉̪͙̠͇̬l̨l̼͉̯.͈.͕̱͝.̟̬͠

8 Likes

Plus C isn’t even for Cthulhu. Unspeakable Symbol Which Brings Madness To All Who Dare Read It is for Cthulhu.
That or the cephalopod formally known as Cthulhu.

4 Likes

C is for Χριστος.

He was having a dispute with his record company, but I think it’s resolved now.

χθυλυ φταγν

3 Likes

Given it’s Lovecraft…you may want to skip over the entry for “N”…

4 Likes

I think I’ll give “J” a miss too.

3 Likes

Am I they only one who feels bad about cutesy Lovecraft?

1 Like

hey, I found a second use case for the APLed unicode lettering!

He looked for something to ease his g̷͎̰̣̟̤̣ͅn҉a̯̜̮̬̞ͅw̡i̗̯̮̟̺ͅn͙͍g̞͇̦ ̛̟̙͇ḫ̪u͚n͚̩̬ģ̺̣̖er͙̭.
2 Likes

No, but I’m not a fan of non-cutesy either. Bit too much race-hate for me.

S is for squamous?

2 Likes

No.

If you think Lovecraft’s racism overrides any merit of his work, you surely wouldn’t want it to be made more acceptable and cuddly.

If you think Lovecraft’s cosmic horror is powerful enough to be worthwhile despite his personal flaws, why would you want a version without the actual horror?

Obviously plenty don’t share this opinion, or TVTropes’ “Lovecraft Lite” page wouldn’t be so large.

@M_M @Beanolini when I first read Lovecraft as a kid I didn’t know he was a racist. Personally I tend to prefer to know nothing about the personal views of any creator or performer.

3 Likes

Not saying anyone’s a Bad Person for reading it. But for me, as I get older and a bit more aware of things that I didn’t really give a fuck about as a dickhead kid*, I find I just can’t be having with that sort of shit any more as it really does soak through his work.
And as it soaks through and stains, it’s up to the individual to decide how much stink they gonna put up with and whether it’s worth holding your nose. :poop:

It ain’t a judgement call on your reading habits, just a personal call, ya know. :slight_smile:

I hear ya. Sometimes that’s just way easier.

*Not saying you was one. Me, OTOH…

1 Like