California couple arrested on drug charges after feds track their I.P. address as having accessed Silk Road

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one, then. I think the government has a valid regulatory function, but I don’t think it lies in telling people what they can do in the area of “victimless crimes,” which largely comes from the US legacy of Puritanism. Things like growing pot, wanting to marry someone your same gender – or making moonshine, provided it’s done safely – are not where I want the government spending it’s time.

8 Likes

I suppose we can disagree on this particular instance with the couple. But we do coincide on the idea that the government needs to focus on legalizing the marijuana industry, though i’m still concerned over the initial method on how they were found on Silk Road. Something there just doesn’t sit well with me.

1 Like

I don’t personally know all the people who run Tor. I haven’t seen the source code and I don’t know who the operators actually work for. Have you?

1 Like

LMGTFY https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git

In comparing the likelihoods that

(a) between the digital crime investigators, the cops they actually allow to speak to media, and the non-tech journalists doing the interview, someone got the details wrong, and

(b) the Tor project has a back door so deviously hidden that it has escaped detection despite a lot of security-minded people working on the project and reviewing the code, and the cops felt busting some minor mail-order pot sellers sufficiently important to blow the lid off the whole thing,

Occam’s razor suggests we go with (a) unless some really solid evidence to the contrary emerges.

2 Likes

You don’t suppose it’s possible they raided without probable cause, and then concocted the TOR story later? Naaa, that’s conspiracy thinking.

2 Likes

Also possible that they were discovered via their postal package activity, and the IP/Tor story is tacked on to scare people off Tor.

1 Like

What are the margins on this trade? If you have to waste your time and money driving around in post offices you dont have enough time for agriculture…

Congratulations Alaska, Oregon, DC, Guam and Portland-Maine…even Florida got 58% of the vote, California voted to lower penalties on ALL drugs, and NYC is ending marijuana arrests

Marijuana is Dominating, Freedom is Winning

AMERICA’S WAR ON DRUGS IS A WAR ON AMERICANS!!!

2 Likes

Nah. It’s called parallel construction, and it’s considered best practices by “law enforcement.”

2 Likes

The margins on growing it? Astronomical. And they get lower on a steep curve from there.

is there an economics study on this type of plant?

“Parallel construction” is essentially legally-sanctioned perjury. I feel safer already.

2 Likes

Amidst all the discussion of specifics, let’s not forget that the entire War on (Some) Drugs is a crime against humanity that enriches a few multi-hundred-billion dollar industries (prisons, police, private security & military contractors, big pharma) at the expense of all of our freedoms – and especially of our brothers and sisters who are poor or have darker skin.

The prohibition of cannabis, which the DEA called “one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man,” is a particularly egregious and these growers should properly be considered victims of political oppression.

2 Likes

“Yeah, Hey Dad, yeah great to hear from you too…uh, about that old laptop I gave you last year…”

I wonder if there’s a futures market.

1 Like

Also thoroughly credible.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.