California Gov. Gavin Newsom vetoes free condoms for high school teens, allows retailers to refuse to sell them

My back of the envelope calculation, were students evenly distributed by grade, become sexually active in 8th grade, and half use four condoms a week every school week got me to $58.5 million per year at a dollar a condom.

I could see subsidizing insulin might get into the billions, but the condoms are a rounding error in the state’s education budget. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Pity his parents hadn’t made more use of condoms.

Most famously he has long pushed for marriage equality, issuing same-sex marriage licenses as mayor of San Francisco back in 2004, years before state or federal law recognized same-sex marriages as a right. (A state supreme court decision said that San Francisco had exceeded its authority in issuing those licenses, but a lot of folks believe it helped push the issue forward and pave the way for the state’s eventual legal recognition of same-sex marriage in 2008)

There have been a few other issues that he’s been the right side of history on but I kinda feel like he’s largely been coasting on the marriage license thing for nearly 2 decades now.

5 Likes

I mean, that’s good! But These recent vetoes don’t really show a difference than any other Republican candidate. :confused:

Biden is mostly a Neoliberal, but he has softened on some policies in his later years.

2 Likes

Newsom has a pretty good overall record on environmental issues, so in that respect he’s been consistently better than the Republicans. That doesn’t give him a pass for any of the many areas where he falls short, though.

6 Likes

Let’s try to act like the budget is the concern. Just the cost of prevented births in Medi-Cal would cover most of the cost of the program with some pretty generous assumptions (1 condom a week for every student year round and dropping the teen birth rate to comparable to Massachusetts). Throw in a few prevented HIV cases and the program is fiscally sound. If you get out to secondary effects (teen parents are less likely to pursue secondary education) you get hugely budget positive in a few years. If you are going to just treat humans as lines in a spreadsheet, the least you can do is both sides of the math.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.