Camera lens made from 32,000 drinking straws

They say the best camera is the one you have on you when you want to take a picture. Fortunately I am rarely without 32,000 straws on my person.

3 Likes

That is very interesting and informative, there is a lot more in vision and imagery then you see at first glance, obviously. I remember reading, astonished, about the first Impressionists aims with their colour choices and experimentation, it was far from obvious to me that the colour you “see” in a scene, isn’t the colour you use to depict it in a painting.[quote=“crenquis, post:12, topic:95308”]
Some delicious lead honeycomb:
[/quote]

Don’t go swimming for at least half an hour after eating a lot of it.

1 Like

Isn’t that the little spinny thing when Windows Update gets stuck yet again?

3 Likes

That seems excessively small. I don’t have a drinking straw and a ruler in front of me, but a standard drinking straw has to be at least double that diameter. Maybe they’re talking about those little straws used for stirring coffee?

Yes, it does sound small- and they’re 10" long, as well. They said the 32,000 straw camera was a 20x24" hexagon; a quick calculation suggests that this would indeed require straws <3mm in diameter.

A ~20"x24" hexagon is indeed a regular hexagon (or close enough). Dividing the straws into six regular triangular regions 12" across the base, there are 5333 straws per region. 5333 is not a triangular number, but assuming this number is just a guesstimate, there would be somewhere between 102 and 103 straws along each edge of the triangle. This makes 8.5 straws per linear inch, or ~3mm outside diameter per straw.

Those are still really narrow straws, especially considering they’re also 10 inches long. I’ve never seen straws like that.

1 Like

Since pinhole cameras image upside-down, wouldn’t each “pixel” also be rotated 180 degrees from its normal orientation?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.