Can the future influence the past? The scientific case for quantum retrocausality

Uh … huh?

2 Likes

According to the Society of Jesus, it can.

They tripped one of my pet peeves. Entropy is not guaranteed to always increase. It is guaranteed to increase ONLY in closed systems! Is the universe a closed system? No one knows. But Boltzmann wrote about 3 different kinds of systems, closed, open (transmissive), and open (non transmissive). Entropy is only guaranteed to increase in the closed case. And even then, only when considered over the entire system. It still allows an arbitrary amount of entropy reduction in finite pockets.

I’ve also never really been that bothered by the idea of time travel. At least when you consider a multiverse situation, it doesn’t seem to cause any problems. The point in the past where you do not travel backwards into it is simply separate from the one in which you do. And both lead to entirely separated futures. Separated in the sense that any two universes in the multiverse are separated - totally. There is no causal chain between one which can result in even the slightest information transfer between the other. It’s like the inside of a black hole. You can claim to think about it, but pretty much by definition it is no longer part of this universe. It is no longer reachable from the light-cone (which should really be a causal-cone IMHO) that we’re in.

1 Like

Damned thermodynamic reasons!

4 Likes

Is this ‘history is written by the victors’ on a quantum level?

1 Like

There are some other strong contenders as well, but I think it’s safe to say we’ll have to antagonize some NMDA receptors.

1 Like

DMT does the trick. At least, it did for me…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.