Can you "hear" flashes of light? Do you have synesthesia? Take a test

That would make a lot of sense to me, and maybe help explain why there were so many videos. I just intuitively felt like my adding-a-sound-track wasn’t really what they were testing for - that’s not synesthesia, it’s just imagination. Because I’m prone to “hearing voices”, I feel like it was easy for me to identify those sounds as a familiar “hearing voices” experience, and know it was coming from a part of my brain well outside the visual/auditory processing parts.

2 Likes

BTW: the rotating sphere of dots was unusually silent for me. Can you have synesthetic silence?

2 Likes

I have to think you can. I think we experience silence as a thing rather than as an absence.

1 Like

Relevant:

(first couple of minutes or so)

I scored a lot of ones and zeroes, but i could hear the fireworks and one other.

ZERO
ZERO
ZERO
ZERO
Oh god, when is this test going to be over…

ZERO
ZERO
ZERO
Gotta be over soon
ZERO
ZERO
ZERO
Finally…

Do you consider yourself to be a synesthete?
Where’s the NO option?

I guess I know where things stand.

1 Like

I “hear” ‘Fissssshhhhhh’ on the flash. This is a bit weird because I know that flashbulbs had a distinctive ‘pop’. Go figure.

2 Likes

Until just recently, I thought everyone had a soundtrack in their brain, to accompany the movie they see thru the camera of their eyes. In my brain, this is somehow separate from the “real” stuff I see and hear (& feel) in everyday life.

Apparently, many don’t. (Insert scene of late-night post-gig talk over food and one more for the road, with me being dumbfounded as everyone gives me the “are you crazy?” look with accompanying wah-wah-wah sad mocking trumpet notes.) But as I just realized again, I do, all the time, even when replaying an embarrassing scene from my life.

I know my imagination is why I “heard” the click-clack and whoosh of the roller-coaster, and the entire smash and tinkle of the glass in the sledgehammer to monitor clip. I “heard” nothing in dots or sparkles, but the bang of the hammer and the flash of the lights made the electrical noise I hear in the room jump loudly and hurt my head. I figure it’s not synesthesia, just the way my head works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.