Some people can hear this GIF

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/04/some-people-can-hear-this-gif.html

7 Likes

Look…and people say the power grid is old and decrepit.

18 Likes

I have the sensation of sound and imagine I hear a nice big boom when it lands but I’m also aware that the ‘sound’ is imaginary. Does that mean I hear it or what?

20 Likes

This is picture I can hear.

8 Likes

I’m not hearing anything, but there’s a low boom in my chest when the tower hits the ground. Which is weird, because it’s instantaneous with the thing landing, and I’m guessing that tower is ~1000’ away, so it should be delayed be a second!

23 Likes

I hear a low short burst of white noise, as if a whole bunch of objects are shaking together every time that Eiffel tower hits the ground, like distant rattling crockery. It’s in my head. Oh the voices. The voices…

[Edit] I just realized the tower is about 300 to 600 meter away from the viewport. This means that there’s a good chance that the sound should not be synchronous with the visuals. But in my head they are. Ergo: there’s a good change that I’m imagining things.

5 Likes

Try opening image in a new tab - I think it is more effective against a black background.

2 Likes

Is that Puerto Rico? Is that why they’re still having power problems?

10 Likes

I hear/feel a low-frequency thud.

BTW, the original animator is not happy with the attention this GIF is receiving, because most places featuring the GIF are not properly attributing him: https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast

16 Likes

i don’t hear anything, but i can feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

11 Likes

Updated the post! Thank you!

9 Likes

I’m getting the same kind of deal. I blame the drugs.

2 Likes

Is that Donald Trump getting cut loose by his Russian handlers, and falling on his ass?

1 Like

This was circulating a while back.

23 Likes

Oh my! On this one I can actually hear ♪♫ We will… We will… Rock you! ♫♪

18 Likes

Scissors!

14 Likes

Now I hear it too!

3 Likes

You know Natasha, some days you eat Moose, some days Moose eat you.

5 Likes

That effect is very interesting. If a band is about a football field away and you watch someone crash the symbols, you see and hear it at the same time, even though they are about .3 seconds apart - easily long enough for you to detect that they are separate. Up to a certain distance, you brain synchs the audio for you, but past some point you notice the separation.

I think some of us are more aware of the distinction between sensory input and the processing of that input than others. I’m with you. I experience what I would likely experience if I were hearing the sound, but I know I’m not hearing it. I wouldn’t be surprised if some other person basically has the same parts of their brain doing the same kind of thing while watching the gif, but they would say they “hear” it.

9 Likes

I can tell the reason I seem to “hear” it is because of the bit where the image appears to shake: when my eyes see the image appear to vibrate upon impact, my inner ear (which handles vibration & balance inputs) goes completely haywire-- it assumes that the shaking my eyes see is also a vibration I can feel via my ears, which then leads to my brain thinking it hears it, too!

tl;dr: apparent visual input–>apparent vibratory/balance input–>apparent auditory input

10 Likes