Some people can hear this GIF

Thank you for a most enjoyable typo.

At risk of sounding snarky, I am aware of the silence.

I.e. even though I know it’s a silent animation, at some level my brain still expects the sound and is surprised not to hear it.

2 Likes

How dare you malign the good name of the kind-hearted Bullwinkle J. Moose!

3 Likes

Posit: people who pronounce it “Gif” can hear it, people who pronounce it “Jif” can’t.

11 Likes

Brother, it’s a gif. So if you hear it, you’re imagining it! To be clear, I could definitely hear/feel it as well…

3 Likes

Whoa! I can ‘hear’ that! That’s whack!

2 Likes

That’s even crazier: I can ‘hear’ both the bass and something like the snare!

1 Like

Mmm, peanut butter! Lol, whut? Can’t hear ya!

2 Likes

I hear the thuds in my head, but it doesn’t feel like they’re in my ear. I’ve experienced audio hallucinations before, usually when I’m extremely tired and on the threshold of sleep unconsciousness, and this sensation isn’t that “real”, it’s closer to the sensation of having an earworm stuck in my mind’s ear after the actual sound is gone. I imagine for some it’s closer to an audio hallucination. I can’t decide if I envy them or not. I like having reliable sensory information, but it would be kind of cool to “hear” a visual image.

3 Likes

I’m just catching up on the original Twitter thread now; apparently this is the part of my inner middle ear that’s going haywire, there’s actually a muscle there and it’s flinching every time my eyes tell it to expect a “thud”!

1 Like

That’s what I also felt, but on the morning of November 8th last year.

4 Likes

No no no, I correctly pronounce the image file format “jif,” and I sorta heard it.

Yes, I said correctly, and I stand by the guy who invented the format and has acknowledged this as fact. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OMG that little tower is TOTALLY going “Wheee!” “Yayyyyy!” “Yippeeeee” how can anybody not hear this?

11 Likes

when the camera shakes I hear three low pitch thuds.

I gotta say; that power pylon is really good at skipping. I’ve been watching for half an hour now, and it hasn’t caught a wire on the foot even once.

7 Likes

And @jlw
Yikes! I remember when he posted that on B3ta maybe 10 years ago. I feel so old. His b3ta.com profile.

2 Likes

Do people not hear sounds in their mind? For example music, or the sound of your voice reading this, or the expected sound of the tower hitting the ground. Seems rather common place to me. And to be clear I realize the sound I hear is a thought mechanism, not an auditory hallucination.

1 Like

I don’t “hear” anything that I perceive coming through my ears with this gif either, but I have also heard things distinctly while asleep or on the verge of sleep, that I know didn’t actually happen. It’s most often a voice saying my name, or a door closing, for some reason. I have no idea why.

2 Likes

You have to keep watching. The payoff at the end is incredible.

7 Likes

Hey does this mean we’re a bit synaesthesic? Cos I want to be synaesthesic.

2 Likes