Canada Post drops legal claim over crowdsourced postal code database

Yeah, it was probably a case of Canada Post going, ‘see, we may be public sector, but we’re complete scumbags too, so cut us a break’…

1 Like

Thank you for being less lazy than me! :wink:

My Parents lived in a rural area of Northern California, and would often find FedEx / UPS deliveries got chucked in the mail for the last 150 miles.

1 Like

Good!

While I hate that Trudeau’s government will be signing away our sovereignty for the TPP, it’s good to finally see some sound management in other departments

“Will be?” The signing ceremony was back in February.

Even if we don’t ratify it, we’re bound by it if most of the other countries do. (Ratification is so last century.)

Because there are many non-profit social and health applications of geocoding, and Canada Post’s lawsuit blocked many legitimate uses. After the efforts of Free The Postcode! in the UK, OSGB released the database for all to use. This precedent should help the Canadian Postal Codes become free.

They do this in the cities, too. I get a lot of parcels that originate with FedEx or UPS but are delivered via USPS on my end.

1 Like

I wonder if the USAF will eventually be doing the same for Amazon once both are in the drone delivery business.

3 Likes

Okay, that is a seriously funny thought. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yup. Both specialize in high-speed delivery.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’ve recently learned that programs created by the US National Institutes of Health can’t be licensed under the GPL. Not because they want to make them closed proprietary programs – it is that even the GPL is assigning a copyright to a public good.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.