Candy cigarettes, the best worst thing since Jarts

You can be sure human beings discovered that inhaling smoke is bad for your health right after the first fire was lit.

King James IV clearly says smoking is bad for your lungs, which it is.

Furthermore, the slang term for cigarettes, “coffin nails,” dates back to the 19th century.

5 Likes

You get a “like” for magically putting the words “sweet” and “chalk” together for the first time ev. Er.

3 Likes

We played Jarts all the time when I was growing up, we would even aim at each other. It’s a miracle that no one was killed.

7 Likes

Yep. And bubble gum cigars, and “Big Chew” bubble gum chawing tobaccy in a pouch.

I went to a craft fair a while back two weeks ago, and they had a candy booth. They had all three of these candies for sale. And they weren’t antiques by any means; they were current stock.

ETA: I was too vague on when this event happened.

4 Likes

I’ve been eating a lot of these lately, since I needed some and Amazon sells 72 packs for $18 vs 24 packs for $15. A tip my friends have discovered is to light them on fire: they taste pretty much like toasted marshmallow after a bit of flame.

6 Likes

Ah Big League Chew was my favorite! Especially the grape flavor, I recall. I could finish an entire bag in a day.

But I never considered using actual tobacco or playing baseball.

5 Likes

I always wished Big League Chew would manage to figure out how Hubba Bubba wouldn’t stick to your face. Then you’d have the best of both worlds.

6 Likes

Ah yes. The one and only reason that Hubba Bubba gumfighters won the legendary gumfights of the 1980s.

That message really stuck (ha ha) with me. To this day I prefer Hubba Bubba to Bubblicious and Bubble Yum when I can find it.

11 Likes

The candy cigarettes were OK but the bubble gum cigars were neato! I don’t think I was much aware of the big chew as a kid.

2 Likes

Youthsbane.

Yep. My new band name, now that I’m 46.

Mine. You guys can’t have it.

10 Likes

You missed out.

Classic package design.

6 Likes

I was young and naive enough to believe Big League Chew was what baseball players really chewed. I knew of chewing tobacco but couldn’t imagine anyone really being stupid enough to put it in their mouths.

And now it looks like they really do keep big containers of bubble gum in the dugouts.

4 Likes

Man size!

5 Likes

I saw an old Popeye cartoon from the late 30s with the cigarette/coffin nails reference.

Anyone remember when Tobar the 8th man used to smoke his “special cigarettes” to regain his stamina? They don’t make kids shows like that anymore.

3 Likes

I never wanted to smoke, I never have smoked, but I loved candy cigarettes as a kid, and the big boss candy cigars. I’ve always liked playing with taboos in safe ways.

6 Likes

By James VI & I, whose other works included one explaining the necessity of killing witches and another espousing the divine right of kings.

He may have got it right this time, but I think we can safely attribute that to luck rather than informed insight.

5 Likes

That seems very counterproductive, knowing the history.

1 Like

Why would you assume that? People thought many horrible crazy things while understanding facts of science.

They still do today.

4 Likes

But are they marketed as “Candy Cigarettes” or just “candy” with a suspicious looking box?

1 Like

12 Likes