Thanks to vaping, decades of anti-smoking progress in teens has been wiped out

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/23/thank-you-for-smoking.html

2 Likes

Who’d have guessed that selling candy-flavored nicotine products would attract younger customers? (Answer: Juul. Juul knew.)

27 Likes

At least vaping is less bad to you and to people around you than cigarettes. (Though that’s such a low hurdle that earthworms are having trouble limboing under it.)

15 Likes

Those Juul cartridges clutter up the sidewalks. At least cigarette butts decompose.

2 Likes

These days, anyways.

Other Filter components
The filters of some cigarettes, such as Parliament, also contain charcoal as an additional filtration agent. The “micronite filter” on Lorillard’s’ Kent brand cigarettes from 1952 to 1957 contained the deadliest form of asbestos - crocidolite. While advertisements at the time promoted the filter as making Kents healthier than other cigarettes, there are currently several lawsuits pending against Lorillard from families of smokers who died from a rare cancer caused primarily by crocidolite.

whoops - Cigarette Litter --Filters

5 Likes

addicts are the ideal consumer.

who knew?

3 Likes

What brand do Men of Culture prefer?

20 Likes

It shows how fundamentally greedy and short-sighted these companies are that they didn’t consider setting up a recycling/deposit programme.

I’ll still take it. If evil companies want to make addicts out of teenagers, the lack of toxic second-hand smoke is a plus. Although the kind of arseholes who start these companies are likely to introduce carcinogens into the expelled vapor just because.

7 Likes

Looks to me like cigarette use actually steepened its nosedive. This is not wiping out progress. It is making progress. Do not make the mistake that vaping is as bad for you as smoking.

10 Likes

Recycled mascot, Juul Camel?

7 Likes

And how is one to pronouce “Juul?” It is a dipthong? Like “Joo-ool?”

1 Like

Juul…like Zuul

19 Likes

I don’t think we really know that, yet, though. I mean, probably, but I don’t think the studies are really in on the health impacts of vaping.

Also, why do I have to have vaping in my fucking vocabulary now.

17 Likes

Shooting your self in the foot isn’t as bad for you as shooting your self in the stomach… none the less…

12 Likes

Not if your idea of progress is “reducing nicotine addiction among young people,” which is what we’re discussing.

Celebrating the rise of vaping because it’s a marginally less unhealthy delivery system than cigarettes is like saying “the rise of filtered cigarettes is a good thing because fewer teens are smoking tobacco in unfiltered pipes”

14 Likes

But, it makes people look COOL, man! Who cares if kids get addicted to nicotine, they look COOL! /s

No, no they don’t.

10 Likes

I remember buying candy cigarettes when I was a kid.

What’s old is new again.

2 Likes

What is sinister about Juul is that they might be playing the same game of making the nicotine dosage much higher in their blends so they are more addictive. Just like Big Tobacco got dinged for.

My buddy has been trying to quit since I met him 20 years ago. He bought a Juul figuring it would be healthier, marginally. He went back to cigarettes for most of the time because direct quote, “The juul fucks you up too much”.

ETA: Looky looky. They get some scrutiny over teen vaping, and all of a sudden low nicotine carts come out: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/11/juul-to-introduce-lower-nicotine-pods-for-some-of-its-flavors.html

11 Likes

On the scale of good for you to bad for you, I’d say candy cigarettes might be slightly more to the “good for you” side… only slightly.

Also, I remember those too. Oddly, since I grew up in a household of smokers, they never made me want to smoke growing up. It never really occured to me that smoking would be something cool and rebellious to do, since both my parents smoked.

dogma-jay-bob-wow

I hope not.

11 Likes