Careful Words, a more civilized thesaurus

Originally published at: Careful Words, a more civilized thesaurus | Boing Boing

3 Likes

FJarQ0QVcAAFcmH

3 Likes

“Thesaurus”

• Tinny.
  • Woody.

0 voters

2 Likes

hmm.
The last quote is

" They make solitude, which they call peace. Tacitus (54-119 a d): Agricola. 30.

One should be familiar from this quote from reading Arkady Martine’s A Desolation called Peace, which evokes something quite different.

So, who is correct? Expanding upon the quotation, we find.

Now, however, the furthest limits of Britain are thrown open, and the unknown always passes for the marvellous. But there are no tribes beyond us, nothing indeed but waves and rocks, and the yet more terrible Romans, from whose oppression escape is vainly sought by obedience and submission. Robbers of the world, having by their universal plunder exhausted the land, they rifle the deep. If the enemy be rich, they are rapacious; if he be poor, they lust for dominion; neither the east nor the west has been able to satisfy them. Alone among men they covet with equal eagerness poverty and riches. To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a solitude and call it peace.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0081%3Achapter%3D30

I think desolation is far more appropriate than mere solitude, given the context.

3 Likes

Having input “hypocrisy” I was rewarded with a timely quote:

“A conservative government is an organized hypocrisy.” (Disraeli)

3 Likes

I put in a word (irate). I hit enter. Nothing happened. Disappointed.

3 Likes

With “Careful Words” and “curated” I was thinking an emphasis on better word choices. A mindful thesaurus would be cool.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.