Cartoon genitals star in consent awareness campaign

Maybe. But that would mean there are a LOT more evil people than I would care to think there are. ETA - and if that IS true, those PSAs are pointless, because they know what they are doing is wrong and don’t care. A cute video isn’t going to change anything.

2 Likes

I still think they’re a minority, but a large and active minority. In my life I’ve been involved in some fairly sketchy scenes, and there are no shortage of predators in this world.

Maybe there are a few who are just pushy and don’t get it. If it saves even one person from rape, not a total loss. But I think the main goal of the PSAs like these are not so much to educate would-be rapists as to chip away at rape culture itself. There are a lot of women who don’t feel safe saying no. The more the message is out there that that’s their prerogative, the better their ability to exercise it.

5 Likes
1 Like

Free your genitals from abuse.

Fwyie.

I agree with that last notion. I feel like as long as there is a discrepancy on how consent is suppose to be, the confident one will win. And if ones experience rewards aggression, it becomes harder to convince otherwise.

3 Likes

That’s what that is! That was really confusing me. One rarely sees one boob in isolation.

6 Likes

… What did you think it was? A Hershey Kiss?

3 Likes

Best guess was a strangely shaped head, but then I was wondering why the hand was hugging the head.

2 Likes

Some people have sexualized the overcoming of resistance, even to the point where it’s the focus of male excitement.

You can’t be totally naive to the PUA madness that rape culture and social isolation have produced

5 Likes

And still a trope in movies and novels.

5 Likes

I think I see what you did there.

Maybe we wouldn’t hear as much about “the right wing wanting to stick the law into people’s bedrooms” and that would almost be worth it.

That might also be a reason, but I think the main reason is that they don’t want to have to face the possibility that the man in their lives doesn’t believe/support them. That would really bring their world crashing down, so it’s better to just not open that door.

4 Likes

It sounds like at least some people here think the main problem is with two people who have both chosen to become heavily intoxicated and therefore might think they mean yes but really they’re too incapacitated to make a real choice.

That’s not really the main problem. Sure, that happens all the time, but that’s not when (the vast majority of) women wake up realizing they’ve been raped.

It’s when the man has gone out of his way to find (possibly even causing) a woman to be more incapacitated than he is in order to maintain control over her. He might be slightly drunk, but he’s made sure she’s had 4 doubles, or spiked her drink in some way. That’s a much bigger problem.

9 Likes

They are thinking they are entitled to her body. They “deserve” to fuck her.

7 Likes

Being flippant about rape doesn’t help.

6 Likes

WTF?

Are you seriously saying government coercion is the same as consent?

For me, if the government says I and a consenting potential sexual partner can’t say yes then it’s wrong. If a sexual partner says I can’t say no it’s also wrong.

The issue is removal of personal choice. A rejected person can always fall back on Mrs Palm, consent is easy to work out in that relationship.

6 Likes

I hope you don’t mean me. I made an effort to repeatedly differentiate between the main problem of rapists using alcohol as a weapon and the edge cases to which I was referring and which do grab attention (usually as misapprehended ammunition for hysterical red pill types) from time to time.

1 Like

It really does happen with celebrities though…

I wasn’t responding to a particular post or poster, just the sense I was getting that the conversation in general was weighted toward talking about mutual lowering of inhibitions.

3 Likes

Well, I did harp on about that for a while. I still feel like the implications of those edge cases are far reaching and harrowing in and of themselves but obviously not as much of a problem as rapists for whom any form of consent is ignored.

Insofar as my discussion centred around awareness of consent.

2 Likes