Cartoonist Joe Sacco on satire, and Charlie Hebdo

You’re glossing over tons of history and nuance within the religion. Some branches of Christanity also demand that the religion runs the state (Dominionists for one).

Yet, tons of liberal Muslims exist…

I just think you’re wrong about that. Sorry.

I just calls them as I see them…

Look, since the Islamic world was one of my subfields (meaning I’ve read at least a book or two about the subject), I’m going to tell you that you re just glossing over the complexity of the religion. Much like christanity and buddhism, there are a multiplicity of interpretations of the Q’uran, and there is nothing that says the faith can’t fit into the modern liberal system of statehood. You’re talking about a religion that encompasses a billion people, which has no real top down structure in place.

I’m gonna suggest here that you go read a book or two to possible get some perspective on this topic. There is a big difference between how some hardline salafist interpret the Q’uran (and the Hadiths) vs. how most Muslims actually practice their faith - which has an incredibly strong emphasis on reading and understanding the text (the text themselves are central to practice). I can even recommend some, if you’d like. Talal Asad is always great, Samira Haj’s book discusses specifically the question of Islam and Modernity (Reconfiguring Islamic Tradition), anything by Ussam Makdisi, John Chalcraft’s The Invisible Cage, Lara Deeb’s An Enchanted Modern, Joseph Massad Colonial Effects and Desiring Arabs, Isa Blumi, Oh, of course, Edward Said is a must - it’s hard to understand the history that underlays the current conflicts without a strong grasp of the Orientalist construct.

6 Likes