Caterpillar Inc. sends cease and desist to Cat and Cloud Coffee shop

Yep. They aren’t going after Target for Cat & Jack clothes. An actual clothing line (and a good one, FYI, quite durable) with CAT in the name. I wish I designed for Cat & Jack just so I could put out some Cat & Jack branded T-shirts featuring the word CAT and a cute caterpillar. Then wait to see if the Big Mean Caterpillar tries to take on Target. They probably wouldn’t- Target is its own juggernaut.

That may be their excuse and cover story for doing this, to make them look like vigorous defenders of their trademark, and why they chose a tiny coffee company to sue. They don’t have to do this. Someone in legal was either bored, has a hate-on for Cat & Cloud, or decided “we need a few more trademark defenses on our record- what small company can we screw over to get that?” Because choosing a small company means it costs Caterpillar less.

Edited to add:
Jared_truby didn’t link to the Cat & Cloud website. Maybe he is too honorable? Also, no offense meant by characterizing your company as tiny and small- it just is in comparison to Caterpillar
But for those Boingers with a bit of walking-around-money to spend, maybe pick up something from the Cat & Cloud store. https://catandcloud.com/
They have the hat and coffee!

4 Likes

It’s heavy glass, but you’re right. No broken mug, ad no blood loss.

I bet my mug is the cleanest mug west of the Pecos now I’ve cleaned it so hard.

2 Likes

Bullies don’t tend to go after anyone their own size.

It’s a reasonable strategy to win a case against a small defendant and then use that judgement to bring a similar case against a bigger one. It’s a lot easier to say “hey, the court thought Cat and Cloud infringes our trademark so Cat and Jack must surely be infringing, too” than to go for Target first, because Target presumably has a lot more money to pay lawyers than the Cat and Cloud coffee shop has.

2 Likes

So they’re like that t-shirt company that sell motorcycles, Harley-Davidson?

2 Likes

Can we get some sweet Cat & Cloud merch with some cute caterpillars on them?

I was thinking of a non-cute caterpillar in a bulldozer running over a cat with blood spewing as it heads for the cloud running away.

And yet, they know exactly what they are doing in every single six-minute length of their working day. Amazing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.