Caterpillar Inc. sends cease and desist to Cat and Cloud Coffee shop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/29/caterpillar-inc-sends-cease-a.html

4 Likes

OMG! I thought I was ordering some expensive artisan coffee, but when the delivery arrived, it was a D9 dozer!

50 Likes

Does Caterpillar actually have a trademark on just the word “Cat”? I was under the assumption that such trademarks couldn’t be granted but i’m not a lawyer so asking here in case someone might know better. Also Caterpillar’s justification is disingenuous because Cat & Cloud is literally printing the whole phrase on apparel, it’s not just “Cat” but “Cat & Cloud”

27 Likes

Caterpillar? I don’t even know 'er pillar!

13 Likes

Protect their brand? Like if someone doesn’t like their Cat and Coffee hat amd has regrets buying it, then they may think twice before buying that $500k Caterpillar road grader?

Is this really…

23 Likes

Believe it or not, Caterpillar Inc. is full of shit.

Their trademark is for the word “CAT” with a triangle below the letter “A”.

37 Likes

14 Likes

Have they sent Target any cease and desist letters too?

They have and entire line of clothes branded “Cat and Jack”, where apparel is clearly the primary market.

23 Likes

Caterpillar can fuck off to the sun.

13 Likes

That’s what my hunch was, that their trademark is for their specific logo which happens to have the word Cat in it. Thanks for digging that up!

7 Likes

Henceforth I am never buying coffee from Caterpillar!

15 Likes

Better get these guys too:

Reminds me of the assholes who sued restaurants with the word “Aloha” in the name.

18 Likes

I hope they get the chair

1 Like

Right on. They have about 20 trademarks for hundreds of markets and submarkets, including:

online retail store services and retail store services featuring clothing and clothing accessories, footwear, headwear, toys, games, leather goods, bags, glasses, cups, keychains, watches, computer software, eyewear, pictures, and books

But they all refer to the logo, not just the word “cat.”

15 Likes

I still have my “Eat More Kale” t-shirt.

I’d wear it into a Chik Fil A, except I’m still boycotting them.

7 Likes

We have a responsibility to protect the brand our customers rely on.

I dare not post an eyeroll gif that expresses the depth of how i feel about this statement for fear of setting off anybody’s squeamishness.

13 Likes

oy…

9 Likes

Just as long as it’s not “Cat more Cale”

4 Likes

Yep, this is not doing wonders for their “brand”.

I can only imagine one of their lawyers was bored and desperately seeking some means of justifying his or her salary, and started to idly peruse recent trademark filings.

6 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

3 Likes