Chicago's 'Aloha Poke Co' wants Hawaiians to stop using the words 'aloha' and 'poke'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/31/settler-colonialism-2.html

2 Likes

Was the Chicago place there before the others were using these words? Reminds me of the folks who move in next door t a tallow plant, then complain about the smell.

14 Likes

I’m so tired of the cry, “FAKE NEWS!” as a defense against wanton assholery.

ETA “false news” in this specific case. My ire still stands.

26 Likes

21 Likes
7 Likes

Before Hawaiians used the word? I highly doubt that, since it’s a Hawaiian word that has long been in usage. One of the song written by queen Liliuokalani, which was likely written in either the 1870s or 1880s. Yet another blatant misuse of copy right laws in the service of attempts to coopt native culture.

29 Likes

Let’s also throw in “real news” that is reporting someone else’s fake news.

1 Like

The apology was such a non-apology. Fuck those people. Mostly fuck them for being so fucking lazy about the name that it literally caused this issue.

21 Likes

Trademark laws but yeah. Also I believe the restaurants they sued actually existed before this chain. They just didn’t bother to trademark such common words.

7 Likes

Change it to Aloha Pokémon.

7 Likes

I didn’t mean to hit you. It’s not my fault if you just walked into my flailing arms.

Intentions don’t mean shit. It’s the repercussions of what you do that are important.

3 Likes

As I am presently in Hawaii, it appears that people here seem to be of two camps: either they don’t really care about some some haole guy in Chicago trying to get all up in their aloha or, they are all worked up into a tizzy about some haole guy in Chicago getting all up in their aloha. It is a weird dichotomy of: “what a joke, dis guy!” and “dis guy, what???!?”

9 Likes

They might have better luck trying to trademark asshole.

17 Likes

Should they have to do so, though, for such a culturally common word?

12 Likes

I guess my post about the two guys that I know selling sushi was removed because it was offensive…

If you ever wondered why Hawaiians complain about the problems mainlanders cause.

At least one advertising for Hawaii that predates this: “The Islands of Aloha” - GoHawaii.com

1 Like

Sounds off topic to me, but I didn’t see the original post, so I don’t know if it was possibly offensive, too.

2 Likes

The company’s founder, Zach Friedlander, called the discontent over his company’s use of legal bullying to claim ownership over “aloha” and “poke” a “witch hunt” and “false news.”

Meanwhile everyone else holds this opinion of Aloha Poke Co.'s action:

16 Likes

I kindly would tell the guy to go f’ himself. Kindly, of course.

8 Likes