Catholic Scientists conference to discuss "Extraterrestrials, AI, and Minds Beyond the Human"

Originally published at: Catholic Scientists conference to discuss "Extraterrestrials, AI, and Minds Beyond the Human" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

One of the interesting bits in the Hyperion Cantos is that the Catholic Church is one of the few institutions from our time that has survived into the far-future setting of the novels. This seems plausible given how the Church has managed to endure through two millennia of major social and scientific changes already.

Looks like they’re trying to get ahead of the game for the next time some groundbreaking discovery on par with “whaddaya MEAN the Earth isn’t in the center of the solar system?” throws all the theologians a curveball.

13 Likes

also angels and demons

4 Likes

Religion and science… it’s like beef gravy in chocolate.

9 Likes

“What if… now hear me out… Adam and Eve had belly buttons?”

3 Likes

I can’t wait!

3 Likes

21 Likes

“Catholic Scientists”

Seems a little contradictory. The bible (actually I think it was jesus specifically) says a man can’t serve two masters. And that only through god can you know truth.

So, what happens when science contradicts the bible? Well the bible pretty clearly says you have to turn away the evidence of your own eyes, in favor of god’s word.

So, it seems to me like you can’t be both a good scientist or a good christian. The only way to reconcile disagreements between the two is to take one or the other less seriously.

8 Likes

Hit me up when Catholic Scientists find a cure for the Priest rapists running amok with zero over-site in their midsts. Maybe science will win in the end, but I don’t think anyone will hold their breath while the Catholic Church finds more excuses…

12 Likes

Religious faith is believing in something despite the lack of good evidence to do so. It’s pretty much the opposite of science.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Not really. If God created everything, then science is just an exploration of the what and how.

Or just like new evidence can effect your understanding of science, science may also change how you understand the Bible. It would be the height of hubris to claim one’s understanding and interpretation of the Bible is infallible.

Story idea - in the future missionaries no longer going to remote parts of the world (as that is largely not a thing) but turn inward and begin to convert the feral new world of sentient AI.

7 Likes

As a life long Humanist I gave up on the all mighty’s lightening bolt hitting me in the ass a long time ago, but some folks are still waiting I guess, Oh and when is that Jesus fella coming back…

Can I get an Amen, or an Awoman, either will do…

tumblr_49a2a78d33d841248c9286ea378adeea_0c86519d_500

13 Likes

That’s only if you don’t consider the Mormon’s sequel canon.

2 Likes

Whoa Dude, let’s not get me started on that cult…

8 Likes

Same as when your celibate priests fuck people…

7 Likes

Nothing, God does not exist and the bible was written by humans, not an all knowing deity or it would be written better if you ask me, and a least have ONE FACT in it.

6 Likes

Every single action of god took place in that little circle? So, one might even call it the “glory hole” in the ozone through which god imparted his/her/their glory on earth.

3 Likes

No that “glory hole” is at the any local Catholic Church. I know, now I’m in trouble with the Big Guy upstairs.

3 Likes

He definitely saw that.

4 Likes