CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077 appear to have a transphobia problem

I found the opening scenes of A Fantastic Woman to be a lovely depiction of a romance and trans women being depicted as desired and desirable - and respected.

I’d love to see a great rom-com with one of us as the lead. Do you have anything similar to suggest viewing?

9 Likes

There was that web series a few years back, set in I think San Francisco, that followed the lives of multiple trans women. It was harsh, funny and sweet and best of all featured actual trans actors!

Shame on me for not being able to remember the title.

9 Likes
9 Likes

My bad, it was Los Angeles.

9 Likes

I never saw Dirty, Sexy Money - have you?

8 Likes

Gotta say, fringe benefit of hanging out on Boing Boing is learning about new content I might never otherwise have. Appreciations for all y’all’s indexical awareness.

13 Likes

I adore Big Freedia.

9 Likes

I have not, I assume it is worth a look?

9 Likes

A Fantastic Woman won an Academy Award.

After the opening scenes- tragedy strikes- and some of the sad realities of how we’re often treated are part of her life. But she persevered and succeeded.

9 Likes

I don’t know. Guess I should find out.

8 Likes

laugh

8 Likes

I’m aware enough to know that this is bigger than just me, and what I personally want or think.

Equality for all doesn’t mean that we should all be treated badly.

And being reduced down to a two-dimensional construct meant to titillate the male gaze is NOT “acceptance,” not for anyone; it’s exploitative and dehumanizing.

15 Likes

You don’t say. I guess it is a random occurrence that the developers made transphobic tweets and the game is widely criticized as being transphobic…

(Edit: rearranged quotes and comment for better contextual clarity)

14 Likes

e35

12 Likes

Read Julia Seranos “Whipping Girl”. There are two types of presentation of trans women in popular media. Either you have the hottie with the dick, a ka the trap. Or you have women who had surgery but no passing privilege.

CP 2077 did go with the former, the dick is a play on the “ickiness” factor serving the same mild body horror function as the augs.

Another Cyberpunk game from recent years (less filled with the typical tropes of the genre and more cyberpunk in it’s message), Watchdogs 2, did go with the later.
Which I interpreted as a horrible caricature in the same way at first. But the way the character is than treated in the story completely negates that. She is not defined by her transness, nor is it ignored. But what really makes her as a character is her being a political force for good in the setting with a lot of agency.

9 Likes

More an education on the precise use of English as a second language, but fair enough. I am aware that people don’t actively choose their sexuality.

Almost any interpersonal or inter-societal conflict in human history could be solved by more communication between the parties involved, yet conflict persists.
For one thing, to know that you are not doing something the right way is the first prerequisite to even asking someone who would know how. I guess that step is now achieved for CDPR.

Way to word that in such a way as to imply that lack of communication from the trans community, about a game that was under development, and thus the relevant details were not public knowledge, was just as much of a problem as lack of communication from the game developers with the trans community.

And, no, if you’re going to involve people in your project involuntarily, better to talk with them upfront than saying “oops!” after the fact. Which is still a very generous interpretation of CDPR’s response. A more accurate read is much like many of the posters on this thread, declaring the objections of the trans community as “over sensitive.”

Bullshit.

8 Likes

You’re assuming it was on the trans community to pre-emptively communicate on something that @DukeTrout notes they were not in on the loop of… or that everyone has an equal voice in society, which though most certainly a goal we should all strive for, is most certainly NOT the case.

Maybe they should not have assumed that they understood all these issues, and instead consulted a variety of view points on these issues? :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

ohhhh, c’mon! where’s the fun in that?

8 Likes