Cyberpunk 2077 characters "can’t get their penises to stop poking through their pants"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/10/cyberpunk-2077-characters-cant-get-their-penises-to-stop-poking-through-their-pants.html

8 Likes

Gotta say this immediately puts it in the all time top 10 for videogame bugs :rofl::eggplant:

21 Likes

Gee, how did this slip past QA?

7 Likes

It’s been striking me lately that the tabletop RPG that this is based on was never a good cyberpunk game (too much based on other sources, made by someone who wasn’t actually particular familiar with the genre). This strikes me as accidentally turning out to be more representative of the “future” (i.e. present) we got than the future that was promised in science fiction (cyberpunk, mock-cyberpunk or other) - lots of fancy tech that ends up giving us unwanted picts of some dudes’ dicks.

19 Likes

The game got delayed several times, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a known issue they just hadn’t addressed yet.

It also doesn’t seem to happen on higher end PCs with better graphics cards. A lot of people are saying it’s full of bugs, but I’ve only seen one thing I’d call a bug. I built a new machine with better specs earlier this year in anticipation of this game coming out.

2 Likes

Hey - how come we can’t flag your posts?

12 Likes

Cyberjunk 2077?

I would’ve thought that wordplay was another low hanging fruit :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Its in the top ten of all time discourse bugs.

13 Likes

I’ll never understand fashion.

6 Likes

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

4 Likes

The tips are cyberpink.

6 Likes

The year is 2077. Giant corporations have largely taken the place of governments. The YKK zipper company has suffered a series of military defeats since 2061. Its territory has shrunk to a few rugged and isolated regions of what was once the Philipines, where it once controlled much of the South Pacific.

With YKK putting most of its remaining industrial capacity into last-ditch arms production, zippers and clothing fasteners have become entirely unavailable in fabric shops and highly prized black market commodities.

34 Likes

On purpose, at the suggestion of the marketing department?

11 Likes

This is always the wrong question. Instead, imagine how much worse all the other bugs were that they fixed. I’ve spent more than half my life in game development, and I call tell you we know about every bug we ship. You gotta choose what to fix and it sucks sometimes.

23 Likes

This strikes me as something you gotta fix before shipping.

9 Likes

But… why did they make penises under the clothes to begin with?

Someone had to make a bunch of digital peens. I wonder who they got for that… Kevin?

kevin

9 Likes

With how shakey the entire game seems to be, especially on older consoles, the list of actual game-breaking bugs that would have prevented console certification must have been nightmarishly long, despite multiple delays and several months of mandatory crunch. In comparison, some dong slippage is probably not as high on the to-do list as, say, “make sure the game doesn’t crash during the main campaign by whatever means necessary”.

As for this:

It’s because you can have sex with NPCs. There’s actually 3 styles of penis with a size slider for each of them in the character creator.

And one vulva.

6 Likes

Without knowing the details, you can’t say that. Maybe the repro is low user path, only affects certain GPUs, or it’s already fixed in the first patch and they couldn’t afford to delay release any longer. Companies live or die on a week one way or another on a release date. Just because you see a dozen tweets doesn’t mean the bug is common or widespread among hundreds of thousands of players. If the choice is between fixing that bug, or fixing a 100% crash at launch, or the company folding, what would you do?

This is not hyperbole. AAA console is a razor thin margin business and we make these choices constantly. I worked on a project that spent five years in development but then didn’t ship because the company could no longer afford the cost of distribution and the analysis showed it wouldn’t earn fast enough to cover a line of credit to ship it. So we binned a finished game to save the company. Stuff like this happens all the time.

20 Likes

I’m assuming that when you literally developed Discourse, you get to write in your own rules.

ETA: nope it’s because he’s an admin, and they aren’t flagabbabble

3 Likes

I suppose they don’t. Usually the genitals are only there when the character is naked, hence no precautions to hide it.

2 Likes