Cyberpunk 2077 characters "can’t get their penises to stop poking through their pants"

Sounds more like Fallout 2077, amirite, fnarr fnarr, etc.

5 Likes

Is… Is Keanu’s character an NPC or player character? Asking for a friend. If not, I guess one could just rewatch a Scanner Darkly again.

Is there a size slider for that, because in my limited experience, they come in more than one size/shape.

7 Likes

Admins can’t be flagged. All of the Discourse staff here are admins for troubleshooting purposes.

6 Likes

The most recent delay was explicitly for QA. I’m curious what systems this is popping up in, apparently some console versions have not seen the day 1 patch yet. And the Polygon article says most problems are with the Xbox one and PS4 versions of the game, presumably this one too.

The reviews called it buggy, but review copies weren’t updated when they were distributed. There was apparently an early/incomplete patch pushed before release for those review copies, about half way through the review period. And then Steam apparently repeatedly crashed due to the traffic at release, so a bunch of people had trouble installing the patch.

There seems to be a mishmash of comments from patched and unpatched versions. The things I’ve seen from people confirming they’re all patched up are saying it’s kinda surprising how not buggy it is given the way games like this go.

But there seems to be a lot of people running it sans patch without knowing it.

4 Likes

Free advertising for the Mr. Studd™ enhancement. Militech version coming soon!

2 Likes

I agree with all the stuff you’re saying about dicks. However, part of the reason me and mine loved the Cyberpunk rpg in middle/high school was because it was based on other sources. Blatant Ghost in the Shell and Neuromancer rip offs in an rpg? Sign me up!

7 Likes

Is there an R2D2-like interface requirement for a penis in this game or is it just a weird feature?

1 Like

Near as I can tell it’s part of how they’re handling gender. You apparently pick from generally masculine or feminine frame, then select genitalia separately, then select a voice. It’s an attempt to be more flexible in terms of gender identity and presentation for the player character.

They don’t seem to have quite worked it out. Pronouns and the assumptions NPCs make are determined by the voice selection, rather than being a seperate setting. And there’s no non-gendered option. I’m not sure why this has to involve photo realistic boobs and weiners either.

8 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: CD Projekt are bigoted assholes

Unfortunately, the character customization options makes it seem like they thought allowing you to choose different body types, voice, and secondary sex characteristics would be sufficient, but it feels very shallow for the number of options provided.

You can’t adjust the body masses, so no large bodies, no lean bodies, just what they give you. The skin colors feel really limited and there are no unnatural options, though it seems likely that the technology in the world of CP 2077 would allow for unnatural skin tones, and there are unnatural eye colors and hair colors available. There are only two voice options and both sound white (and are voice acted by white people). The hairstyles are gender-specific.

I’m hoping this is like No Man’s Sky and there are later updates that add so much more.

5 Likes

I’m gonna go with Bobtato’s take. Any publicity is good publicity.

4 Likes

All these comments and zero graphics geeks managing to work the term “clipping” into the conversation?

3 Likes

This “bug” took a lot of extra coding and art to do.

3 Likes

Well, “A” is for assurance. In this case, though, could “Q” stand for something other than “quality”, because…

2 Likes

A genre P&P RPG is of course going to be based on familiar sources so that players have points of reference to get into it - the irony is that of all the things Cyberpunk ripped off, almost none of it was, um, actually cyberpunk. That’s what I meant by “other sources” - I mean other than the cyberpunk genre it was ostensibly based on and ended up ironically named after. It was manga meets Miami Vice, basically (well, and a bunch of '70s and '80s movies). I don’t think Neuromancer was really in the mix because I think Pondsmith hadn’t actually read any Gibson when he started writing the game… (The only actual cyberpunk influence on the game was Walter Jon Williams, who featured heavily.) Superficial references to other cyberpunk authors made their way into the game, but the basic DNA of the game had nothing to do with that work. So yeah, since it was basically a “mid '80s geek culture” game with some pop culture flourishes, I was totally into it in high school, but in retrospect it totally failed as a “cyberpunk” game.

It’s amusing to see actual cyberpunk authors respond both to this game and to the framing of this game, “cyberpunk is about [X],” with total confusion because the developers of this game are talking about the P&P RPG which had nothing to do with anything anyone was writing, and the themes and philosophy of the game are pretty alien to the genre, really.

4 Likes

I see what you did there.

3 Likes

I still think they should have pushed it to the middle of next year instead of delaying it 3 times. The release might have been less buggy and crunch wouldn’t have been as necessary (not that it ever is)

It’s so buggy their stock declined despite being a big hit just on pre-orders and probably a lot on launch.

Cyberpunk isn’t defined by Gibson. If you want a Gibson cyberpunk game, get him to write one.

2 Likes

I doubt it. A lot of bugs in video games come from unexpected collisions between multiple systems that work perfectly well independently but not at all well in combination. In this case, since it seems to be mainly last-gen consoles, I’d say it’s probably a result of mesh complexity reduction and/or more aggressive level-of-detail scaling for less powerful hardware, resulting in the polygons of the player’s clothing layer not being in the right spot to accommodate the player’s avatar mesh underneath.

3 Likes

Hey, how do you know genitals clipping through your clothes isn´t the freshest fashion in 2077? I mean we can wait untill it happens, I´ll be 97 then and I doubt anybody would want to see my junk clopping through my high sitting old dude pants then…

3 Likes