CEO who made $5M last year tells employees asking for more money to "leave Pity City"

Originally published at: CEO who made $5M last year tells employees asking for more money to "leave Pity City" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s not a furniture company. That’s just a gimmick for juicing the investment game.

18 Likes

“It’s your own fault for not being born to rich white parents!!”

/s

12 Likes

You think you’re joking.

9 Likes

If she wanted to show some fierceness in believing in her team, I can think of about five million things that might prove it to her employees.

ETA: I’ve actually been the financially struggling employee hearing a millionaire complaining about their take-home pay. I considered “Sorry you’re hurting, Mark, I can let you have twenty bucks until payday”, but needed the job too much to call him on his bullshit.

22 Likes

The board is made of wood.

4 Likes
3 Likes

… I don’t understand this game

4 Likes

For $5-million a year I expect a CEO not to be so incompetent as to make a tone-deaf comment like this, “out of context” or not.

27 Likes

CEOs: I need multimillion dollar bonuses and ridiculous compensation because people are only motivated by money! Even though I’m empowered to believe the success of the company is my personal succes, the bald facts remain, I must be paid in order to perform.

Also CEOs: You selfish workers need to think less about money and go out and fight altruistically for the company! Even though you are alienated by your position and connection to the company, it would be vulgar to be motivated by compensation, you should be motivated only by common cause!

24 Likes

You already have a commitment in their continued employment. I find it astonishing that the executive class thinks that people are motivated by some weird desire to please their taskmaster and revel in a day’s labor while they, themselves show zero signs of loyalty or compassion. The weirdest thing I’ve ever been asked was “Do you love working here?” Fuck no! Give me my paycheck!

10 Likes

A couple of thoughts…

I bet she’s also one of those executives who says, “I’m not here to win any popularity contests!”

During the pandemic, it became clear pretty quickly that I needed an ergonomic office chair. My home office chair was an Ikea - I don’t see the model on their web site anymore. I looked at the Herman Miller chair and was ready to spend $1K+ on one but went with All33 after reading several reviews. It was about half the price and now, when I do go into the office, I wish I also had one there.

11 Likes

I don’t. 5 million is way too high to expect any competence from the individual in question.

10 Likes

When I first glanced at this, it rendered in my head as, “… born to rich white parasites.”

Not to complain too loudly, but why can’t the entire (remaining) employee base succeed along with her?

10 Likes

The higher the salary, the lower the competence?

Sounds about right in my experience.

10 Likes

I know it’s veering off topic, but thanks for the lead! I work from home and need a better office chair, I am seriously reducing my mobility with my current set up. Am going to check this out. :+1:

6 Likes

She’s as over priced as the furniture her company sells.

7 Likes

If I was a recruiter, I’d reach out to every employee of that company I could find.

7 Likes

I can’t imagine ANY context that would make this acceptable.

9 Likes

What was interesting in the video was how angry she gets at the end there, at her “entitled” employees wanting to also share in the company profits they helped make.

9 Likes