Chatbot lawyer overturns 160,000 parking tickets in London and New York

1 Like

From school, I remember the math very well. We did have a home ec type class. A single period for a single semester. They called it “senior experience”. The obvious joke was “my grandfather had a lot of senior experiences. Before he died.”

The class was basically a free period in a confined space. Like a homeroom. It was a velvety prison, in an unlit second story room with the windows open. And a teacher who would have floated away, if not for the bug screen. She was always high. Or maybe she’d been treated with electroshock or something. She was like a benign Ben Carson. Whatever she said didn’t make a lick of sense.

From the Guardian article:

“I think the people getting parking tickets are the most vulnerable in society” Browder told Venture Beat.

Words fail me.

1 Like

A granted appeal may not mean the ticket was bullshit. In college, I worked as an appeals officer for a university parking enforcement department. Our policy was to compassionately educate through the appeals process. Getting people to understand and follow the rules was more important than getting their fifteen dollars. And in fact, if it was your first parking ticket, we automatically granted your appeal. When everyone follows the parking rules, we all benefit.

But if you abused the handicapped parking spaces in any way, you were doomed. There was no mercy for those people.

2 Likes

That is sometimes true, especially with the people who habitually break the rules. There is some kind of mental illness underlying their behavior. It means they can’t grasp the most basic parking rules, or any other rules either, and they don’t understand why they always get in trouble. The world is a big guessing game for them, and they usually guess wrong because all the easy correct answers are already taken.

Maybe they shouldn’t be driving, then?

Perhaps those who get parking tickets are more vulnerable, on average, than drivers in general; but to suggest that they are ‘the most vulnerable in society’ is ridiculous.

1 Like

Don’t forget that that number only counts the people who knew about the chat bot and used it. Even if there were some free passes, and i seriously doubt the government would do that on purpose when they could just as easily get paid, what about all the other ones who should have gotten off but didn’t know about the bot or their rights or couldn’t stand to take it to court, etc.?

1 Like

He seems like an intelligent guy to have made this bot so how the hell did he rack up THIRTY parking tickets?? Does he just struggle with cause and effect?

1 Like

I’m concerned about unjustified ticketing for sure but I get the sense that this is more about successfully getting out of a ticket on a technicality rather than them being overzealously applied.

What I really want to know is how can one person get 30 tickets by age 19?
At 52 I can’t remember having had any - there must have been one or two but it has been so long …

Maybe he is a “time optimist” and often realizes too late, again, that he is already late and there are no free spaces unless he breaks some rules? Or perhaps it’s a gamble - I know some areas here in Sweden where some people gamble on not getting ticketed, and end up paying less than if they had paid for their parking.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.