A Wechat-based "mobile court" presided over by a chatbot has handled 3m legal procedures since March

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/12/a-wechat-based-mobile-court.html

4 Likes

3m

I totally thought we were talking about 3M the company and was thinking “the chatbot has handled ALL of 3M’s legal procedures??”

6 Likes

I bet that’s going swimmingly.

I wonder how many of the critical decision-makers in the process are equally confused.

4 Likes

It seems like blockchain might have some value here, as a means to prevent tampering with the collected evidence. I mean, I know that corruption within authoritarian regimes is totally unheard of, but just in case…

There may be other, better ways than blockchain to achieve that though.

5 Likes

I always think of blockchain as “An immutable database with no admin”. It only seems to have value above traditional solutions in a case where you have multiple stakeholders, none of whom are to be trusted.

This sounds like one of the few cases I’ve run across where it actually fits. You don’t want a single, bribe-able person in the chain of custody for legal evidence and documents if at all possible. Any traditional server is going to have such a person somewhere along the line.

8 Likes

Well, that’s Snow Crash as fuck.

7 Likes

More “Diamond Age as fuck,” imo. Post-cyberpunk AI-enhanced Confucian legal systems arbitrating an Anarcho-Capitalist dystopia with a Communist candy coating.

9 Likes

Would you like to:

• plead guilty
  • plead not guilty
  • plead no contest
  • ask for assistance

13 Likes

I had to read it three times before I realized that this was primarily a document collection assistant to make it easier for judges to review evidence, and not an “AI” that was rendering judgments.

Give the Chinese authorities time. Eventually, if you don’t have a high enough Social Credit score, this is the “judge” you’ll get.

8 Likes

So, is there anything that can’t be done on Wechat?

I never thought I’d say I prefer Clippy, but he’s preferable to this:

3 Likes

Judged by a court of your peer-to-peers?

2 Likes

> Use CoinKite on PLCC
Teh pinless, leadless chip carrier is unimpressed.
> Present CoinKite using TradeMeUpCoin to People’s Law Criminal Court
OK
> Present CoinKite using TradeMeUpCoin to People’s Law Trade Court
Wait half hour for Shi*Trade murk to die down? Y/N?
>Y
Cool, 0.00072 TradeMeUp paid for court fees.
>And?
And what?

2 Likes

List of Question
What is your age?
Which blood type?
Do you smoke? drink?

(Processing time; looking if one of you organ is required for a sick CCP officials), you get death penalty if so, whatever the crime. They could always turn your case into something involving it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.